[SOLVED] GPU Windows Error 43 GTX 1060

scobod22

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Hey all. So I came across a GTX 1060 3gb I snatched for $70 because I was told it needed a new fan and would only show a black screen. Figured I could see if there was anything I could do at all. The card is a Zotac GTX 1060 3gb. I received it and it did boot, however it does not show the post process. It is either a black screen or a white screen up until the windows sign in screen appears. I do see a flash of blue artifacting right before the windows log in screen but its only for 1/4 second. I log into windows, then the card works fine...sort of. The display shows. The drivers install, but in the device manager, the card shows code 43 "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems" Windows stopped the card from working for reasons I can not figure out. Found a website called Google that said its all about drivers. I followed every step I can find on uninstalling, reinstalling, clean installing, cleaning registry before installing, older drivers, updating Windows. Tried re-seating the card as well and checking the connections. I don't want to just throw it off to the side because its not the latest and greatest gpu. I want to know for sure that it is dead. It might make for a good media card for a home theater or something someday.

The specs on the pc are as follows.
HP desktop
Ryzen 5 3500
8gb ram
256g M.2
1TB Storage
PSU is weak at 400W but its strong enough for the 1650 Super so should be good enough for the 1060 with the same 6 pin.

My next thought is that maybe the card is a fake, but people wouldn't do that in this world right? GPU-Z shows the card is valid 1060 with all the right specs a 1060 should have including the GPU chipset. The only thing odd is that the Memory Size shows 0 MB. Google also said to ignore that because GPU-Z has bugs and it is not zero. Not sure what to think on that. I am unable to boot into safe mode because the pc does not display unless the windows login screen is up. Any suggestions. I have hope because I have yet to find a post that said they were unable to fix a code 43 whereas the card was dead. Also the card was clean on receipt. No dust at all which was very suspicious. When I replaced the thermal compound, there was an excessive amount that had spilled over and I was concerned that maybe it was conducting two points, but still not working right. I cant think of any more details that would help in my troubleshooting process. As I said, I don't have another pc to check. I do, but its a SFF tower with no 6 pin PSU. And I forgot to mention that I did run a DDU to clear all prior drivers.

Solution
For anyone visiting this post in the future. I have done troubleshooting after troubleshooting and the only culprit I can find is the likelihood of faulty vram. I ran Memtest and it could not detect any device. Probably because there were no drivers installed, or because the vram is fried.

scobod22

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
For anyone visiting this post in the future. I have done troubleshooting after troubleshooting and the only culprit I can find is the likelihood of faulty vram. I ran Memtest and it could not detect any device. Probably because there were no drivers installed, or because the vram is fried.

Solution