Question GPU with low power requirements

eddified

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2013
I have a very old computer (2013) with an NVIDIA GT 640 3GB. This GPU does not appear to have any power connector! It must be using only the power that it can get via the PCI 3.0 x16 slot.

I want to be able to play CS2 on this computer with a decent framerate. (Right now it is not really playable -- the game runs, but frame rate is too slow, around 25-35 fps in 800x600 resolution).

So, the goal is to upgrade the graphics card for $150 or less. The non-modular power supply does not have any of the GPU power connectors that I'm used to seeing. Out of the unused power connectors on the PSU, there are only a couple SATA power connectors and a 4-pin power connector left. It's also only a 350 watt (peak) PSU.

Space isn't really a problem: a 3-slot, long GPU is fine.

What are my options?

TL;DR:
What GPUs fit this scenario:
$150 or less
PSU: 350 W (peak), with only SATA and 4-pin power connectors available.
PCI Express 3.0 x 16 slot

eddified

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2013
Yes, it's a PCIe 3.0 slot, that's what it says printed on the mobo.

Well, I just bought this PSU for $39.95

... and this GPU for $89.99

... which together and including tax, still fit in my budget. The new PSU was necessary for increased power requirements from the new GPU.

I was able to figure out compatibility by reading the mobo manual, and learning a little bit about the existing PSU, and paying close attention to the specs of the new PSU & GPU.

Here is my mobo manual: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/H87M-PRO/E7919_H87M-PRO.pdf?model=H87M-PRO

The PSU I'm replacing: "acbel hba008-za1gt 350W".

The CPU: i7-4770
RAM: 16GB

There is 1 SSD, 1TB. There is also a Blu-ray reader optical drive. There are no other storage devices.

I believe the new parts should work, but I'm not a PC-building professional, so I could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️

eddified

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2013
I cancelled the orders for those two items. I want to do more research. I looked at the RX 6400 (low profile version) and the power requirements are very low. So that card looks like it would work. I wouldn’t need to buy a new PSU.

What are your thoughts? 6400 or buy the Rx 570 *and* a new PSU? Or some other option?

I cancelled the orders for those two items. I want to do more research. I looked at the RX 6400 (low profile version) and the power requirements are very low. So that card looks like it would work. I wouldn’t need to buy a new PSU.

What are your thoughts? 6400 or buy the Rx 570 *and* a new PSU? Or some other option?
Rx 570 requires 6pin PCIe power supply as it uses up to 150W. PCIe slot can supply only up to 75W so modern GPUs using only that are very low performance.

Reactions: eddified