Question GPU won't display anything after changing _any_ BIOS setting

Jun 18, 2022
History:
Hello everyone I have a problem, with my system actually, the thing is a year ago I got myself an MSI Mainboard an Athlon 200ge and an AMD RX 550. As far as I remember the system would work as it should work for a few months.
Everyday when I would boot my system, I wouldn't notice anything off because I guess I wasn't paying any attention to the screen while booting. But one day I noticed, that the POST doesn't appear and the first thing I would see from my PC when booting is the Windows login screen. Not even the Windows loading screen would appear (One may think my GPU only wants to display after entering long mode).

Anyways after I bought an R5 3600 I replaced the old Athlon CPU and now when booting my GPU would actually display the POST and the loading animation again (I'm guessing the GPU didn't like the fact that there was an integrated GPU available, which I had always disabled in the BIOS by the way) I could actually enter the BIOS again and change the settings. I know my way around the BIOS and only ever change settings that I know would not affect my ability to see in any way like changing the CPU multiplier a bit or choosing another DRAM speed because mine are downclocked below advertised speed.

Symptom:
I save the settings and boom the GPU won't display anything. I reset the BIOS and everything works again. After seeing that I thought I could pinpoint the culprit by narrowing the settings down until finally the only setting I changed literally was to turn on virtualization. Did that, GPU don't work. I update the BIOS since I already was two updates behind. Now my GPU is back to where it was when I had the Athlon CPU and it won't display anything regardless of how often I reset the BIOS. I would insert the shrug emoji right now because of how baffled I am but I won't because of how much this has gotten on my nerves already.

Since I had another semi dead GPU lying around (semi dead because the GPU displays 2 orange barcodes over the output) and no other way of entering the BIOS anymore, I tried putting that in and it worked I could enter the BIOS. I change a few settings unrelated to ish and fork, guess what happened. Oh by the way resetting the BIOS after that made the GPU not display anything anymore I had to switch the GPU again and reset again for it to at least boot to Windows again.

Theory:
I have a feeling that the problem is the BIOS since the GPU is still in perfect condition just like the CPU and everything else in the system. Updating the BIOS only worsened the symptoms.

Specs:
GPU: PowerColor RX 550 4GB / R9 280X (the semi dead card) both connected via DVI-D
CPU: R5 3600
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000Mhz + 1x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000Mhz
PSU: Corsair VS 650
Drives: 1x NVMe SSD, 1x 2.5" SSD, 1x 2.5" HDD, 1x USB HDD
BIOS: 7B79vHD -> 7B79vHF1(Beta version)
Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max

If you have any further questions please ask, if you have any solutions please state. I apologize for the wall of text and if my English sounds weird it is because it's not my first language.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022
I tinkered around a little bit more today and learned that as long as I don't disable CSM the system continues to boot.

But I do not know why disabling CSM would affect my GPU because the GPU is new enough to fully support UEFI?

Jun 18, 2022
Is it though? Wasn't that 600 series that were first fully supporting it? Some of the earlier cards might, but I would not expect that on lower end model.
That's just what I thought, indeed after opening GPU-Z I noticed that UEFI is unchecked. This is very interesting and not what I remembered at all. It's also very strange since they are relatively new. I am currently searching for a UEFI enabled BIOS for this card and if I don't find one I'll probably have to settle for a newer card :unsure:.

Also I put the wrong manufacturer in the specs it's an RX 550 4GB by PowerColor not by Sapphire.

Update: Flashed the 100% correct ROM (checked all IDs etc) using the flash tool from AMD, rebooted. The GPU now appears to be bricked.

Last edited: