Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2019
Hey,

I'm having trouble installing my GPU, below are some pictures of the issue.

https://ibb.co/3BzdS2b
https://ibb.co/dcvBcw2

I can't screw the thing and if I try moving the GPU to do it. It disconnects from the PCIe slot.

I've already verified that the Motherboard is placed correctly, I mean, it aligns perfectly with the standoff that comes with Corsair cases to align the Motherboard, also, all standoffs were installed from factory.

Case: Corsair Crystal 680X
Motherboard: Crosshair VIII Hero
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card

Thanks in advance.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
it looks like you screwed wrong the motherboard, take a picture of the motherboard screws, and the whole case to see if you screwed it properly, a gpu on a well screwed motherboard in a decent case should install without much resistance

Nov 19, 2019
it looks like you screwed wrong the motherboard, take a picture of the motherboard screws, and the whole case to see if you screwed it properly, a gpu on a well screwed motherboard in a decent case should install without much resistance

I hope this photos work, I created a Box folder.

https://app.box.com/s/y7kehoiosy5fv281tw1p0giw9av73ii8

Maybe there might be something wrong with the standoffs, like some of them weren't properly screwed into the case, I'll have to take the motherboard out to find out I guess.

Maybe that cover that says SupremeFX is getting in the way? Either that or the tabs at the bottom of the GPU bracket are not slotting in right.

Edit: on second glance it doesn’t look like my first suggestion - the top of the bracket is resting on the ledge. What about the slots at the bottom where the tabs are supposed to go? The ones that are visible look like there’s something in there.

Last edited:

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the motherboard seems to be properly aligned

the standoffs if were not properly screwed will come off when you remove motherboard, if they come off, be prepared to have a fun hour taking the motherboard out

yes, i was thinking on tht, perhaps the shield for the nvme is making more problematic than usual to insert the gpu , is a long model right?

Make sure the little pop-up tab on the mobo gpu slot is pressed down. When you drop the card in, hold the bracket against the back slots as vertical and flush as possible while sliding the card down, making sure that at the same time the card edge connector will mate with the slot on the mobo. The tab on the gpu slot should pop up when the card is fully seated and hopefully the bracket will be aligned. Are the tabs on the bottom of the gpu bracket straight, or do they look warped?

Nov 19, 2019
the motherboard seems to be properly aligned

the standoffs if were not properly screwed will come off when you remove motherboard, if they come off, be prepared to have a fun hour taking the motherboard out

yes, i was thinking on tht, perhaps the shield for the nvme is making more problematic than usual to insert the gpu , is a long model right?

I actually tried inserting two different GPU's (a 1080 and an old 560) and still no success, I'm thinking on removing the motherboard and test what's causing the issue, if nothing is wrong, then either the motherboard placement or the case itself is the problem.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
sometimes is the case that has a small hole that needs lots of force to insert the metallic tabs, at the other side of where you put the screws

if you can put the gpu on the motherboard outside the case, definitively is that, the bracket has problems being inserted in the case, not the gpu or the motherboard

that is why some people bend the gpu bracket, others bend abit the tab that pushes it in place in the case

dont bend it this much

lf4frwaxgxs21.jpg

Nov 19, 2019
Final thoughts:

The root cause of the problem is the case, the motherboard placement is not tall enough and, after trying with 3 different GPU's, the issue is still the same.

After installing the GPU without the case, there's nothing blocking the GPU, the only thing that gets "close" to blocking the GPU is the Supreme FX cover, which is not even making contact with the GPU.

Even after removing the Supreme FX cover and moving the Motherboard, the issue is still present.

Picture links below:

https://ibb.co/0yLZLSP
https://ibb.co/TYKd0G3
https://ibb.co/9G6WX7Z

I don't know how other people have successfully built a computer with the Crystal 680X, I just can't identify the defect and, it's seriously outrageous that a case at that price point presents an issue like this, I'm no expert but when you release a product you have to at least test it.

I'm a first time builder that did everything people and Part Picker told me to, I spent a lot choosing the components for the build but, even after all of that, this BS showed up.

Finally, I'm going to attempt to return as much components as I can from where I purchased them, after this experience I'm more than ok with my console.

But enough complaining, I'm just feeling extremely angry that I invested so much time and money on this and failed horribly, like I couldn't even play a game.

Thanks anyway guys, your comments helped me finding the root cause of the issue.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if you return parts, you will never learn to build a pc and run away frustrated or scared helps no one, specially you

corsair crystal 680x right?

09ae-corsair-680x-interior-back.jpg

if you see the same, near these black brackets, on the right there are some holes, where the gpu brackets should insert into, those are the ones that are giving you problems, try to see if just putting the gpu alone is possible, without the motherboard

if you have problems inserting the gpu inside these holes the problem is that

i never worked with this particular corsair model but have used others and corasir does make it a bit hard to insert the gpus, yes, but if i could, you can

Nov 19, 2019
if you return parts, you will never learn to build a pc and run away frustrated or scared helps no one, specially you

corsair crystal 680x right?

09ae-corsair-680x-interior-back.jpg

if you see the same, near these black brackets, on the right there are some holes, where the gpu brackets should insert into, those are the ones that are giving you problems, try to see if just putting the gpu alone is possible, without the motherboard

if you have problems inserting the gpu inside these holes the problem is that

i never worked with this particular corsair model but have used others and corasir does make it a bit hard to insert the gpus, yes, but if i could, you can

The GPU fits correctly into the slot without the Motherboard.

https://ibb.co/z69mg3G

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
well, that one is new for me, sorry, then is the combination of gpu, motherboard and case

the last thing i would try is put motherboard with 2 screws not not tightly screwed, so motherboard can move around, then install gpu, see if that gives you the clearance and freedom of movement to mount it, if it does, then put the rest of the screws and finish the build

if with that trick you can't still mount it, it is the motherboard design, the plastic cover giving you this annoying moment, perhaps consider changing the motherboard only, the gpu to me seems to be just a normal gpu and shouldn't be a problem

if the plastic cover can be removed easily, try that too, i heard a couple years ago a forum user that had to do that but for another expansion card, not a normal gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.