GPU wont turn on

bori0100

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
So i just finished changing the cpu cooler and had to remove the motherboard in order to install the cooler. So i put it back together a turned on the pc, monitor didnt get any signal. So i looked in the case and i saw that the GPU fans werent even spinning. So i thought maybe the gpu is dead but i tried another gpu and still same result. PLZ help

Solution
So a couple of possibilties remain.

Dead Mobo - unknown reasons
A short - probably a standoff
Dead CPU - unknown reasons
Bent pins - bad fitting (not uncommon on AMD)

So to remove the possibility of it shorting, breadboard it. take it out of the case, insulating surface, and short the on-off switch to see what happens.

If that's not ok, then check the pins. If that fails either the mobo or the CPU is likely to be damaged. Whilst there check with all PCI-E sockets.

bori0100

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017

GPU dont require power cable and because it draws its power directly from the mobo. And everything else on the mobo is conected properly, everything is working except the gpu.

bori0100

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017

Nothing my cpu dont have any graphics card. There is no signal to the monitor, but that has always been like that.

bori0100

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017

Ok so i just did a bios reset and nothing new is happening

bori0100

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017

Mobo> msi 760gm-p23
cpu> fx 6100 six core
gpu> gtx 1050 ti
changed from stock amd cooler to hyper 212 evo, nothing else. (had to disconnect everything connected to the mobo and had to remove the mobo itself)

bori0100

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017

MS tech powr supply ms-n550-val. And there is no cable attached to the gpu since it does not need one, it doesnt even have a slot for a cable. GTX 1050 ti draws its power from the motherboard

So a couple of possibilties remain.

Dead Mobo - unknown reasons
A short - probably a standoff
Dead CPU - unknown reasons
Bent pins - bad fitting (not uncommon on AMD)

So to remove the possibility of it shorting, breadboard it. take it out of the case, insulating surface, and short the on-off switch to see what happens.

If that's not ok, then check the pins. If that fails either the mobo or the CPU is likely to be damaged. Whilst there check with all PCI-E sockets.

Solution