[SOLVED] GPU won't work in x16 slot on first cold boot ?

P1R4HN4

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
I've had an issue with my gpu (evga 1080 classified) not working in the normal x16 slot after my computer has been sitting without power for a long period of time (>1day unplugged)

After booting with the gpu in the secondary (x8) slot, I can shut the pc down and move the gpu back to the x16 slot and then it'll be fine up until I fully unplug the psu again for a long time.

Any thoughts?

CPU: intel i7 5820k
Motherboard: Asus TUF Sabertooth x99
Ram: 64gb corsair vengance 2400mhz
SSD/HDD: wd sn750 NVMe m2
GPU: EVGA 1080 classified
PSU: Corsair h1200i (2 years old)
Chassis: Corsair graphite 760T

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please parse them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of your PSU apart from it's make and model(and wattage). If you can get into BIOS while the GPU is recognized by your motherboard, check to see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. While here, also take note of the time shown on the motherboard's BIOS page. If it's off, you should replace the CMOS battery with a fresh cell. Also, how long was the system unplugged? I'm assuming it was unplugged from both the display and power alongside peripherals?

P1R4HN4

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
include the age of your PSU apart from it's make and model(and wattage)
2 year old 1200 watt Corsair h1200i.
If you can get into BIOS while the GPU is recognized by your motherboard, check to see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. While here, also take note of the time shown on the motherboard's BIOS page
I've actually updated the bios to the most recent version with no change in behavior. The red light does appear under where the gpu is seated when this issue occurs. The manual indicates this as the VGA_LED, but this light does not come on when the gpu is seated in the second slot or when it is seated in the first slot after having it turned on with gpu in second slot since being unplugged.
If it's off, you should replace the CMOS battery with a fresh cell
This shall be my next point of troubleshooting. I just kinda find it weird that it boots fine from the secondary slot and not the primary though.
Also, how long was the system unplugged? I'm assuming it was unplugged from both the display and power alongside peripherals?
The first time I noticed this issue was when I was travelling and brought my pc, it was unplugged for ~24 hours.

The time I realized the correlation between the cause and symptoms was when I turned off the power strip for a few days without touching any cables.

I don't necessarily know a minimum bound for time until the issue to occur, only that overnight with the powerstrip off will guarantee the issue. Removing the power for a few minutes does not seem to cause the issue.

Last edited: