GPU won't work with new mobo

Mar 2, 2018
Hello everyone. Hopefully this is the correct category to put this thread in as it is a GPU I have a problem with.

I have an issue which I have extensively researched over the last 2 days. When I say extensively, I mean in the period of 2 days, I have spent roughly 26 hrs trying to figure this out.

The problem :
My problem is that, after a new mobo, processor, SSD and RAM install, my GPU is not really working. What I mean by that is that when I try to boot the PC with GPU plugged in to the monitor, it does POST, I can go into BIOS, it starts loading Windows, but before that loads fully, the display is just freezing. I cannot do anything past that point, which leaves me with the integrated graphics on the board to work with. When I do use the onboard graphics, it is all perfectly fine, and the system even sees my actual GPU, as well as the onboard. The problem though, the GPU has the exclamation mark next to it, and in the details of that it shows:
"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

I can imagine what some of you will probably think... I am fully aware that there has been loads of posts about this issue, and believe me when I say, I have followed most of them and did exactly what they have told me to, unfortunately to no avail.

I have reinstalled the drivers multiple times, in different order, different versions.
I have "blew" into the PCI-E slot on the mobo in case there was any dust there.
I have reset th CMOS on the mobo and I have also updated the BIOS to the latest version.
I have made sure that my PSU is strong enough.
I have made sure that my PCI-E slot on the mobo is working, by putting another GPU (GeFroce GT 760) on it.
I have made sure that my GPU is working as well, by putting it to another PC.
I have confirmed that the initial display in BIOS is set to PCI-E 1 which is the slot for the GPU.
I have tried disabling Internal Graphics in BIOS, although when I do that, the system doesn't POST (gives 5 beeps).
I have tried reinstalling the system (multiple times).
I have installed all of the drivers for the board (tried without them as well).

My build :
250GB SSD
Gigabyte B250M-DS3H
GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Windows 10
PSU has 500W
8GB GDDR4 RAM
Intel i5-7400

Now what is probably worth mentioning is that MOBO, SSD, RAM and processor are all brand new, very recently bough. I honestly have no reason to think that any of these parts could be damaged or malfuntioning in any way.

What I had before was a crappy AMD processor with a Gigabyte mobo that would have matching socket, a simple HHD and 12GB of DDR3 RAM.

I have also switch over from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (which for a long time I thought could be the problem).

So, if anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing this, please shed some light as honestly I have no ideas anymore. Given the fact that the PCI-E works with another card (and for small amount of time/to some extent with my GPU as well) and the fact that my GPU works with another PC, and worked with my old board with no problems, I am assuming that the problem is with configuration either in BIOS (which I couldn't find a resolution to, or what could be misconfigured) or in Windows 10 (which some people very strongly believe). With Windows 10, the problem I have to believe is that the PC I checked my GPU on, also has a windows 10 on it, and that works no problem.

Feel free to ask any questions if I have not mentioned anything that would be important, or if there is anything that you think I should do, but haven't already. I will continue my research in the meantime.

Kind regards
Muffik

-------------------
I have forgot to add.
I have tested it on a single monitor as well as on dual monitor, in which case only one would work (only the one plugged into the onboard graphics.)

Sounds like you've checked almost everything.

Something I might suggest is to go into your BIOS setup & load the defaults (no performance settings). Also make sure there aren't any "reserved settings" option in your BIOS, like those which might dedicate RAM for your onboard graphics. If it dedicates RAM, go for the lowest amount possible.

If none of those work, then if you have access to another PCIe GPU, try putting it in. If you get the same error, then the problem might be your motherboard. Since your board is new, contact Gigabyte tech support to get help.

Mar 2, 2018
I have already tried loading the defaults both when I had the stock BIOS version (v. F7) and after I flashed it to the latest (v. F9b).
I was also looking for such setting in the BIOS, and the only options that would make me thing that they are relevant are :

DVMT Pre-Allocated -- 64M
DVMT Total Gfx Mem -- 256M

I ll be honest and admit that I am not exactly sure what these are responsible for.
There is also another option which I am not sure about:

IGAPIC 24-119 Entries -- Enabled

Thanks for your response. I will wait for some more info from you guys and I will contact Gigabyte tech support like @2Be_or_Not2Be suggested. If I will find out anything else, I will post it here for future reference.

-----------------------------------
@UPDATE
I have forgot to mention something which could be crucial in getting to the bottom of this.
When I have used DDU to uninstall all of the nvidia drivers it came as a surprise to me that the GTX 750 Ti would work in Safe Mode.
This is looking more and more like a software issue on Microsoft side.