GPU works but fans aren't spinning.

YoussefK

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Like the title says the gpu works. I am using it right now. What it does is it spins on startup but once I hit windows it stops. The GPU still sends signals to the display at this point. The temps are at 45 Idle so it is fine without gaming. I'm not going to try to play an games until the fans work. I have had this GPU for about a 3 months and it has worked fine.

*The GPU is the GT 630 PNY*

lcp1109

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
go to the control panel of your gpu and set the fan speed manually, if you dont know how to do it, just start a game and play for 2 minutes and see if fan will start.

many of those low end GPUs have passive cooling, so its normal for the fan not to work in idle when they have one.

and its normal for fan to run fast at wimdows boot because only after boot the software that controls fan speed will start working, controlling the fan speed

YoussefK

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

Yeah but it was never like this before. And Afterburner doesn't work with the fan right now.

YoussefK

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

Well, scratch that about the fan spinning up. currently it doesn't do anything now. The Device Manager recognizes it and so does Nvidia Expierience. But it doesn't spin and now won't output video

YoussefK

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

I can't run a game, the GPU won't output video, but is detected.

lcp1109

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
make sure you are connecting the monitor to the GPU and not the motherboard, and then restart your PC.

If the problem persist, try changing the GPU to another PCIe slot, if your motherboard have another one.

If this does not fix the problem you should either try a different GPU with your motherboard or try your GPU with another motherboard.

xfregulate

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
Okay, from what I noticed I recently just got the ATI R9 380 4GB Powercolor, the GPU fans stay off till I start playing a game. Then they turn on when GPU temps reach around 60 degrees (Celsius). While playing like that they do reach 70 degrees. I don't like my GPU temps above 60 degrees, but the fans won't kick on till then. I would like to see the temps kept around 55 degrees while gaming. I feel that maybe the new Catalyst control center is the one that is pushing the temps higher on GPU's before it allows fan speeds to start up. I had an ATI card HD 5770 that I never saw reach temps above 65 degrees and then all of a sudden temps peaked at 100 degrees and it shut off the computer. Put in a brand new ATI R9 380 4GB and temps seem too high for it's age. I blame the Catalyst system because it says the fan speeds, while I can see they are not on, are at 2300RPM which is a lie. Then I put them manually at 75% and it shows 4100RPMs. So, my feelings are wanting to try and back track the Catalyst program and see if that fixes it.