Question GPU works only after BIOS reset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2020
Hi -
I have a gigabyte laptop - it has an intel primary gpu and nvidia 1070 as a secondary gpu.
My second monitor is connected via hdmi, which appears to be connected to nvidia gpu.

So, one day, when I turned on my laptop, I realized that the laptop didn't connect to the monitor. I checked the windows 10 display settings, it didn't detect a second monitor. So, I clicked on the nvidia panel and it didn't open, saying that nvidia card was not detected.
I couldn't even update my gpu driver because even there i was told that nvidia gpu is not present on my computer. I restarted my computer a few times - no luck.
So, I upgraded the bios - and it worked after restarting my computer.
I thought that was odd, but at least it solved the problem. Next day, when I turned on the computer, nvidia was once again not detected.
I restarted the computer and went to the bios settings and did a reset.
The secondary gpu (nvidia) worked again. So, now I have to reset the bios every time I want a detectable nvidia gpu.

What's going on? Do I have some sort of virus? Why is nvidia card now being detected only after bios reset? How do I force the bios to reset every time automatically (since this clearly is the only way to make my laptop function as intended) ?

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It's not a virus but it's possible that your laptop might be faulty or failing. What is the make and model of your laptop? Mind also sharing which BIOS version you're on at the moment? Considering that this is an Intel based laptop, did you make sure you installed all drivers manually after sourcing the drivers from your laptop's support site?

If you're able to get into OS' GUI, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall them with the latest found off of Nvidia's support site. Be sure to install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Dec 4, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It's not a virus but it's possible that your laptop might be faulty or failing. What is the make and model of your laptop? Mind also sharing which BIOS version you're on at the moment? Considering that this is an Intel based laptop, did you make sure you installed all drivers manually after sourcing the drivers from your laptop's support site?

If you're able to get into OS' GUI, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall them with the latest found off of Nvidia's support site. Be sure to install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Gigabyte P57.

It comes with gigabyte smart update application - I used that to update the bios, which currently is stated to be FBOD/F006.

Otherwise, I've also updated the video card using geforce experience app (after the bios reset).
I might need to reinstall the gpu drivers using your method.
You've mentioned that my computer might be failing - do you mean the bios chip might be faulty?

Sometimes failing gpu chip means it works only some boots. You can test this by doing full shuttdowns and power on 5-10 times, dont mess with bios, might be the bios reset was just luck of the draw.
See how many times you can boot out of 5 shuttdowns and see the 1070

Might be many other things too.

Dec 4, 2020
Sometimes failing gpu chip means it works only some boots. You can test this by doing full shuttdowns and power on 5-10 times, dont mess with bios, might be the bios reset was just luck of the draw.
See how many times you can boot out of 5 shuttdowns and see the 1070

Might be many other things too.
Interesting. Well..

After the last reboot via bios reset, I put my computer to sleep in order not to deal with this problem again. The problem is.... my laptop stopped waking up after being put to sleep for a year now - when i press a key when it's sleeping, the lights on the base of the laptop light up, but nothing happens. Same thing happened this time - so, I had to shut down the laptop via pressing the power button for 3 seconds. After that, it seems like the 'GPU not being found' issue disappeared (it's only been a day since then - 3 reboots without any issues).

Dec 4, 2020
So, the undetected gpu issue returned -
Bios reset does remedy the issue - for now.
I wonder if perhaps the cold weather is causing this?
There's also a potential revelation - each time I restart the computer with undetected gpu, there's an error message that pops up and then disappears. I haven't had a chance to see what that message says, since my laptop is 2 meters away from my desk - next time, I'll restart it while sitting in front of the laptop - perhaps that error message might provide further hints as to what is going on with the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS