Question Gpu (xfx rx580 black ed) card prevents PC from booting(imo)

Apr 4, 2019
Hello everybody, my custom pc (5month old) shutdown without warning while I was playing Sekiro(wtf moment) . I thought my PSU had died, but it worked fine when I did the test with a paperclip. I took the graphics card and did the breadboard technique (MOBO and CPU power only) and the computer started just fine.when i pluged the gpu nothing happen, and i tried a few times. Then a "GREAT" idea 💡 came to my mind. First i started th pc without the gpu and tried to plug the 6pin after,and in the moment where it made the slightly contact, smoke came out of it. Anyway i can see the red led when it's on Pciex slot. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly helpful and appreciated.

My Pc :
Cpu: ryzen 7 2700
Gpu: xfx radeon rx580 black ed. Gts
Mobo:Gigabyte x470 aorus
Ram:g. Skill ripjaws v 16gb
Psu:evga bq serie 600w

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that wasn't a good idea. Smoke usually means something blew and that is usually fatal to any circuit board.

Does the computer still run without the GPU?

You can try the PSU paperclip test again, you might have popped its fuse if it doesn't start up.

I would remove the card. If you are lucky you can simply install another GPU. If you have any PCIe graphics cards available to test with, I suggest doing that. If that doesn't work, your best bet is to take it to a shop so they can confirm what parts are still good.

Apr 4, 2019
Well, that wasn't a good idea. Smoke usually means something blew and that is usually fatal to any circuit board.

Does the computer still run without the GPU?

You can try the PSU paperclip test again, you might have popped its fuse if it doesn't start up.

I would remove the card. If you are lucky you can simply install another GPU. If you have any PCIe graphics cards available to test with, I suggest doing that. If that doesn't work, your best bet is to take it to a shop so they can confirm what parts are still good.
The computer is fine, run just like nothings happen, psu is ok too, but I'm afraid for the gpu. It was just a fraction of a sec.but i suppose that was just enough. Anyway i don't have any pcie graphics to test it. Thanx for the reply.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019
Well, you can always try for a cheap refurb card if you want to use the computer for now. You can try an RMA on the GPU, but physical damage is usually not acceptable.
I'll try that. But still i don't understand why the pc did not boot with gpu plugged in and it will boot only when the gpu was out?

Apr 4, 2019
I'm sorry you had to learn that the hard way. You could still try your RX 580 in one of your other PCI-E slots. That's what I would have recommended first. That way you can see if a slot went bad. Not likely, but it happened with the RX 480's. If that doesn't work, you can try some other stuff, but it's very likely that your card is not functional at this point. On the bright side, you can find used cards for fairly inexpensive.
Refurbished RX 580 from Newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=rx 580&Submit=ENE
Or if you have the money to spend, I would probably pick up a GTX 1660 or GTX 1660 Ti, since they are near the top of the list in price/performance:
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

Reactions: Al_Do
Apr 4, 2019
Quite likely that the PSU detected a short circuit type condition and would not turn on to save the system and itself.
I forgot to tell, that i noticed when i switch the psu on/off it make a noise like a short-circuit (not sure how to call it in english). Can it be, that the psu doesn't supply or deliver enough energy? Btw i bought a cheap old gpu(asus 440 1gb)and everything is running fine.

Apr 4, 2019
I'm sorry you had to learn that the hard way. You could still try your RX 580 in one of your other PCI-E slots. That's what I would have recommended first. That way you can see if a slot went bad. Not likely, but it happened with the RX 480's. If that doesn't work, you can try some other stuff, but it's very likely that your card is not functional at this point. On the bright side, you can find used cards for fairly inexpensive.
Refurbished RX 580 from Newegg:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=rx 580&Submit=ENE
Or if you have the money to spend, I would probably pick up a GTX 1660 or GTX 1660 Ti, since they are near the top of the list in price/performance:
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html
Hey thanx, i bought a cheap old gpu, just enough to open the pc.