[SOLVED] GPU yellow warning icon, error code 43 in device manager

Aug 21, 2019
Hi,

First of all I want to say that I'm English is not very good, I hope you'll understand me :)

Since I updated my Windows (yesterday, I have 1903 version now) my GPU is not working correctly. There's a yellow warning icon in Device Manager near GeForce GTX 970.

MSIAfterburner, CAM, HWMonitor don't detect my GPU, but my GPU is detected in Speccy, Device Manager (error code 43 btw).

I already tried:

• Clean and restart in DDU (in safe mode) + reinstalling the last GPU driver = I made it 2 or 3 times = still not working :(
  • To install an old version of driver + restart

Btw, my GPU is working (fans, LED, etc... correctly).

Could you please help me ? :(

Thank you and have a nice day !

Solution
Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it.

1) Update your graphics card driver.

2) Make sure your system is updated with the latest SBIOS and Windows updates

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card

5) Replace the graphics card as it may be defective

Code 43 can mostly happens either if...
Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it.

1) Update your graphics card driver.

2) Make sure your system is updated with the latest SBIOS and Windows updates

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card

5) Replace the graphics card as it may be defective

Code 43 can mostly happens either if drivers fail or the hardware fails. Other option is that your GPU or motherboard slot failed. If your motherboard has more then one PCIe x16 slot, you can move GPU to another slot to rule out motherboard failure. Or you should test GPU in another machine to confirm that problem lies in the card.

Clear and reset ALL the CMOS/BIOS settings to default. The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. But before we jump to any conclusion, check the card on some other PC as well.

What's the make/model number of your MOBO ? Can you properly boot your current system/OS, by using the 'Integrated Graphics processor' of your current Motherboard, assuming your board supports it ? Do you still get the same problem ? And, what about SAFE MODE ?

Solution
Aug 21, 2019
What's the make/model number of your MOBO ? Can you properly boot your current system/OS, by using the 'Integrated Graphics processor' of your current Motherboard, assuming your board supports it ? Do you still get the same problem ? And, what about SAFE MODE ?

My MOBO: MSI H97 GAMING 3

Yes, my OS is working correctly.

Aug 21, 2019
Have you tried updating your system BIOS as well ? Try reseating the GPU on the secondary PCI-e x16 slot of your Motherboard.

Hello Metal Messiah, thank you for you answer.

Yes, I tried to reseat it in second PIC-E slot but problem persists. Still error code 43 and max 800x600 resolution with "blurry" effect.

I tried also my GPU on another PC with the latests drivers (436.02) but same problem: error code 43 and resolution 800x600 :(

I think my GPU is really dead... :(

Aug 21, 2019
Yeah, the GTX 1660 is definitely faster than the GTX 970, but this card is more suited for 1080p/60Hz gaming. For 1440p you might be needing some more GPU horsepower.

Hmm... but I have i5-4440... I will have a bottleneck I think. I dont wan't to spend too much, I will play only WoW, Euro Truck Simulator 2, and others "little" games.

Which GPU will be perfect for me ?

Can you afford the RTX 2060 ? I'm actually getting confused, because for 1440p, the GTX 1660 seems a bit less, IMO. But the performance also depends on the type of game being played.

Games like MOBA, e-sports, 2D platformers, SIM, Retro/pixel games, do not require a very high-end GPU, so you can also max them on 1440p/60Hz. It all depends on the type of game. Some games are graphic demanding, whereas others are CPU-bound.

But YES, your current CPU might hold back any high-end Video card. though, but you can get the 1660, or the Ti variant of this GPU.

Last edited:
If you are considering a new GPU, you probably care a little less about your current card.

Have you tried reflashing the Vbios using NVflash? It doesnt sound like it would fix it, but it may be worth a try before you give up on it.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/guide-for-flashing-bios-of-nvidia-gpu.119955/

For the new card:

An RTX 2060 is a good card, but your older 4 core will limit a 1660, 1660ti, or 2060. At 1440p this is less of an issue, but you may still see low framerate.
Really for 1440p anything is a good step up from a 970, but i'd consider a 1660ti at minimum.

What is the make and model of your power supply?