[SOLVED] GPU-Z and Ryzen APU Question

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I was running GPU-Z on a system with a Vega 7 Graphics iGPU. It showed that it was running at "PCIe x16 3.0 @ x16 3.0". That can't be correct, can it? The GPU to CPU interface doesn't use PCIe lanes, does it? It's all on the same piece of silicone. If I'm in the dark here, please set me straight.

Solution
I was running GPU-Z on a system with a Vega 7 Graphics iGPU. It showed that it was running at "PCIe x16 3.0 @ x16 3.0". That can't be correct, can it? The GPU to CPU interface doesn't use PCIe lanes, does it? It's all on the same piece of silicone. If I'm in the dark here, please set me straight.
This is correct, it’s directly connected to the CPU via Infinity fabric or something similar, which resembles PCIE, this is why GPUZ lists it like that, but you can safely disregard it.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
This is correct, it’s directly connected to the CPU via Infinity fabric or something similar, which resembles PCIE, this is why GPUZ lists it like that, but you can safely disregard it.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
It does. They are just internal to the CPU plastic. Why would a manufacturer change the interface ? It would be additional complexity.

kanewolf

Titan
Again, it does not use PCIE it uses its own fabric that is most likely infinity fabric, GPUZ just used PCIE for the sake of convenience. Which APU is it?

Seriously? 16 lanes at 3.0 and an additional 16 more lanes available for a discreet card?

PCIe is a protocol in addition to a physical interface standard. The protocol can be implemented on different physical interfaces. -- http://picmg.mil-embedded.com/articles/pci-express-protocol-primer/

Most of the AMD APUs only have 8 lanes for external cards.