Question GPU-Z is this normal?

Dec 23, 2022
i have recently bought used gtx 1080 8gb msi gaming x
it's my first gpu and i just wanna confirm if everything is ok in this gpu because the seller gave me 1 month warranty so i want to thoroughly check everything please kindly tell me if all of the info shown in pic is normal.

my specs:
z820 workstation pc
it has 1200w power supply with 3x 6 pin connectors i have plugged 1x6pin and single 6pin to 8pin adapter connector in the gpu, is it ok? or should i use dual 6pin to 8pin adapter connector?

image.png

Dec 23, 2022
Use of such adapters is not recommended. Seems you are okay though.

The dual 6 to 8 would likely be marginally better.
also i have noticed this gpu is running on pcie gen 2 instead of 3 i have used my friend's gpu 1660 super in my pc and it was running on pcie gen 3 idk what causes this? can u help me on that? it's plugged in on pcie gen 3 16x slot i double checked

image.png

Dec 23, 2022
By putting a load on the GPU, that setting may change. Run a benchmark/game and observe whether it changes or not.

Power savings will slow down the interface when not under a heavier load.
"the graphic card reports that it supports 2.0" it means it can't go above 2.0 even if i put load on it and i DID put load and it goes upto 2.0 only. it should be like this: (look before @ it says 3.0 mine doesn't show this)

now-its-working.png

Dec 23, 2022
instead of focusing on GPU-Z. Try to do some heavy gaming for a few hours, to better observe if the GPU works properly or not.
i'm scared it might get burned or explode bec i have seen so many people saying these adapters aren't reliable and very unsafe that's why i don't wanna push my newly bought used gpu to death before comfirming if it would be safe to use my gpu with that adapter

COLGeek

Cybernaut
i'm scared it might get burned or explode bec i have seen so many people saying these adapters aren't reliable and very unsafe that's why i don't wanna push my newly bought used gpu to death before comfirming if it would be safe to use my gpu with that adapter
And that is why adapters are not recommended. While you have a capable PSU, it wasn't designed for use with your GPU. It was meant to power whatever devices HP used with the Z820 workstation.

That proprietary PSU can't simply be swapped with a standard PSU either.

Dec 23, 2022
And that is why adapters are not recommended. While you have a capable PSU, it wasn't designed for use with your GPU. It was meant to power whatever devices HP used with the Z820 workstation.

That proprietary PSU can't simply be swapped with a standard PSU either.
so getting dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter won't be worth it?

Last edited:

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
looks perfectly normal, as for using 6 pin to 8 pin adapter it's a tough, if the PSU manufacturer did not skimp up on wiring, and those wires are of suffient gauge, than no, but you won't really know unless you see the gauge listed in spec sheet that came with psu or measure it yourself ( which i wouldn't recommend unless you have crimping tool for molex pins and tool to meansure it with. And also heavily depends on the what's on the other end behind the connector on psu side.

For example, with higher end corsair PSUs you have a single cable supporting 2 8 pin connectors, where the second is split off from the first one, but the actual diameter of wires there is twice of what you normally see and it is rated for the load

Dec 23, 2022
looks perfectly normal, as for using 6 pin to 8 pin adapter it's a tough, if the PSU manufacturer did not skimp up on wiring, and those wires are of suffient gauge, than no, but you won't really know unless you see the gauge listed in spec sheet that came with psu or measure it yourself ( which i wouldn't recommend unless you have crimping tool for molex pins and tool to meansure it with. And also heavily depends on the what's on the other end behind the connector on psu side.

For example, with higher end corsair PSUs you have a single cable supporting 2 8 pin connectors, where the second is split off from the first one, but the actual diameter of wires there is twice of what you normally see and it is rated for the load
will this help somehow?

s-l1600.jpg

"the graphic card reports that it supports 2.0" it means it can't go above 2.0 even if i put load on it and i DID put load and it goes upto 2.0 only. it should be like this: (look before @ it says 3.0 mine doesn't show this)

now-its-working.png
Click the question mark next to “x16 1.1” and see if it changes to 2.0. It will not go above that as your motherboard has a C602 chipset which is 10 years old and does not support 3.0.

Dec 23, 2022
Click the question mark next to “x16 1.1” and see if it changes to 2.0. It will not go above that as your motherboard has a C602 chipset which is 10 years old and does not support 3.0.
my motherboard or cpu does support pcie gen 3 here's proof:

my motherboard pcie slots(the gpu currently is in 2nd slot the 17 one):
videocardreference-hpz820-pci-slots-matrox.png

my cpu-z details:
1.png

i have tested friend's gpu gtx 1660 super and it was running on pcie gen 3 but this gpu doesn't and i also check this gpu on an other hardware and this gpu was running on pcie gen 3 on that hardware but not in mine

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021

then you better make it a priority to resolve the issue with the adapters, or you won't be able to enjoy your new gpu.

Dec 23, 2022
Guys i did some more searching and i found this.

am i safe now???? please reply
each connector is on diffirent rail not together so i can even run my gpu on single 6 pin to 8 pin adapter? i searched whole offline market in my city and couldn't find dual 6 pin to 8 pin :C

sdad.png