Question GPU-Z reporting 250% TDP Power Consumption at idle on gtx970? Also frequency stuck at idle speed?

Apr 1, 2021
So been having a really weird issue, thats been super hard to diagnose. My windows pc has been running relatively fine for a few years, but for the most part it just sits and acts as a plex server. When I built it initially, I didnt realize the CPU did not have integrated graphics, so I bought my brother-in-law's old 970. He was having some performance issues with it so had upgraded (at the time I thought it was the fact it was the game he was playing, not the card so much). The computer mostly sits idle just allowing local devices to connect and watch content. In general, it runs fine just file managing, opening web browsers, etc.

It does have a 970 so I figured my wife could game on it, and this is where I discovered the problem. In valheim, it gets 7 fps regardless of settings. Like on the menu. I know that game isnt super well optimized, in beta, but thats a bit ridiculous. I did Time Spy, got about 2 fps, and the gpu score is like 420, which puts it in the bottom 1% of computers. This doesnt make sense. After doing further digging, here seems to be the two main problems:

1. The GPU will not increase from idle speeds. Its like stuck. It is always at 135mhz. Under load, when usage is all the way up, it is stuck at 135. I have tried seeing if I can boost with MSI Afterburner, nothing, still at 135.

2. When running GPU-Z, it is saying some ridiculous usage stuff, like 240-260% TDP under Power Consumption. This definitely seems wrong.

I have tried troubleshooting a lot of different things, including:

1. Re-installing drivers

2. Clean installing drivers

3. Using the driver uninstall tool in safe mode and installing the new drivers

4. Using the driver uninstall tool in safe mode and installing the old drivers

5. Checking the BIOS for any weird settings (found none)

6. Checked if any application was controlling cpu/gpu speed

Nothing seems to be working. Id really appreciate any help. I am suspecting more and more the gpu is just bad, and thats the issues my BIL was having when I purchased it from him. I am getting a new PSU today in hopes that might fix it, but thinking more and more thats not the issue.

Here is the current build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6KFBt8

Lutfij

Titan
First off, the PSU is lackluster in the quality and power delivery arena. With that GTX970 in your build, you're looking at a minimum of 500W of power from the PSU for the entire system. If I were you, I'd get a higher wattage unit for headroom(longevity and upgrades) more like a 650W unit.

Since you've mentioned getting a new PSU, what is the make and model of the new PSU you're getting? If you haven't purchased one yet, look for a Seasonic 650W unit. The issue can very well be the lack of power or that you may need a BIOS update on the motherboard or that you have one stick of ram. RyZen likes a dual channel memory config for optimal gaming, then again, it shouldn't be 2FPS on TimeSpy.

What OS version are you currently on? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Apr 1, 2021
First off, the PSU is lackluster in the quality and power delivery arena. With that GTX970 in your build, you're looking at a minimum of 500W of power from the PSU for the entire system. If I were you, I'd get a higher wattage unit for headroom(longevity and upgrades) more like a 650W unit.

Since you've mentioned getting a new PSU, what is the make and model of the new PSU you're getting? If you haven't purchased one yet, look for a Seasonic 650W unit. The issue can very well be the lack of power or that you may need a BIOS update on the motherboard or that you have one stick of ram. RyZen likes a dual channel memory config for optimal gaming, then again, it shouldn't be 2FPS on TimeSpy.

What OS version are you currently on? BIOS version for your motherboard?
Running Windows 10 x64 (ultimate I believe?) I am currently swapping out the PSU with a 700w bronze EVGA. I tried updating the BIOS but it kept failing for some unknown reason. I cant check the version atm but when I have the PSU in I will

Apr 1, 2021
New PSU was a bust. Still having the same issues.

The UEFI version is x370 pro4 P4.50

Edit - Updated to 5.10, no change, still insane usage numbers

Last edited: