Question GPU-Z says The Graphic Card is running on PCI-Express x16 3.0 although it supports PCI-Express x16 4.0

HardcoreGamer27

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2016
As the title says GPU-Z says that my Graphic Card RX 6800 XT is running on PCI-Express x16 3.0 although it supports PCI-Express x16 4.0(click on the text it is an attachment with picture of GPU Z and the message that pops up).
So am i losing performance because the GPU is running on PCI-Express x16 3.0 insted of PCI-Express 16 4.0 and how to fix it?should i buy new motherboard that supports PCI-Express x16 4.0 maybe?
My full specs
Motherboard B365 M AORUS ELITE
GPU RX 6800 XT GIGABYTE GAMING OC
CPU i5 9600KF
RAM 16 GB DDR4
PSU ASUS GAMING 750 W
Thank you for your answers.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard and cpu is pcie 3. Graphics cards are backwards compatible so card is running how it should with your configuration.

There isn't much difference between pcie 3 and 4 anyhow. If you're having performance issues it's unlikely that is the reason.

Reactions: HardcoreGamer27

HardcoreGamer27

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2016
Motherboard and cpu is pcie 3. Graphics cards are backwards compatible so card is running how it should with your configuration.

There isn't much difference between pcie 3 and 4 anyhow. If you're having performance issues it's unlikely that is the reason.
I have no issues when it comes to performance i was just curious what is the difference between these two.

I have no issues when it comes to performance i was just curious what is the difference between these two.
The differences between PCIe versions is how much data per second they can push. This isn't really a problem until you go down to PCIe 1.x or the card ran out of VRAM.

Also GPU-z may report the card is running at a lower version (it looks something like "PCIe 4.0 x16 @ 1.1 x16"), this is a power saving feature.