Question GPU's core clock will drop during load

Apr 30, 2022
Hello, in rare ocasions, the core clock of my gpu will drop massively during load. This is noticed by massive slowdown within the game, including audio tearing. Here is a print from msi afterburner:

unknown.png

While this has only happened 3 times in two months, it worries me as this pc is new. I can't be sure if this is a driver issue or something to do with the hardware.

My specs are as follow:
Ryzen 5600x (ECO Mode / This issue was present before i put ECO mode on)
2x8 2666Mhz ram using DOCP
RX6600 (Undervolted at this time, the issue happened before without undervolting)
ASUS Prime B450M- Gaming Br
Pichau Gaming Nidus 500w psu (It is from a local brand, the part itself is deemed as high quality here)

While this may be just correlation, all games that exhibited this issue were being played from my hdd, as i use my sdd only for the OS.

Lutfij

Titan
You're window of performance would be on DDR4-3200MHz or higher(like 3600MHz). To add, your PSU is an expensive paperweight. Even if the PSU could output 500W of power reliably, you're also short on power by another 50W. You're advised to have a PSU that has a little more wattage at the entire system's disposal to have headroom. Meaning you should've looked into a 650W reliably built unit.

Make and model of your HDD and SSD? BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Apr 30, 2022
You're window of performance would be on DDR4-3200MHz or higher(like 3600MHz). To add, your PSU is an expensive paperweight. Even if the PSU could output 500W of power reliably, you're also short on power by another 50W. You're advised to have a PSU that has a little more wattage at the entire system's disposal to have headroom. Meaning you should've looked into a 650W reliably built unit.

Make and model of your HDD and SSD? BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

The HDD is a WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0
The SSD is a KINGSTON SA400S37240G
The bios version is Version 3604 2022/03/16

While i do comprehend the point you made about the PSU, this pc has been able to constantly hold extremely demanding games for hours on end at maximum power usage.

The games where this happened were:
Minecraft With Shaders on a normal world at a quiet moment
Payday 2 During a horde end
Monster Hunter World, twice after a hunt in different ocasions while switching tabs on the hub standing still

I assume if the psu was the issue (Not denying it can possibly be, gathering money to buy a better one), it would show issues during the most gpu and cpu intensive moments of more demanding games like Vermintide 2 or Elden Ring, both which gave me no issues of this kind (Elden Ring did give me a complete crash due to an unstable undervolt on my cpu which has been seemingly fixed)

But yes, i do know that is pretty slow ram for this particular pc, also saving money for that.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
While the PSU is probably not the direct cause, it's always useful, when diagnosing a problem, to remove an inappropriate PSU; cheaply made double-forward, group-regulated PSUs shouldn't be paired with discrete GPUs requiring supplementary power in 2022.

Apr 30, 2022
While the PSU is probably not the direct cause, it's always useful, when diagnosing a problem, to remove an inappropriate PSU; cheaply made double-forward, group-regulated PSUs shouldn't be paired with discrete GPUs requiring supplementary power in 2022.
Well, some time has passed, this issue has now also happened when playing rimworld, a game wich asks almost nothing from the gpu, the core clock lowered and came back to normal speeds the same way as usual for this error.

Load is not really the reason it seems, it just happens.