GPU's DVI port not working but HDMI does

nicob96

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017
Hi everyone, yesterday I built my first pc. I have a monitor with VGA and DVI-D ports. I bought a GTX 1050 ti and since it doesn't have VGA port, so I bought a DVI-D cable. When I finished the build I connected the DVI cable and it didn't work. I tried connecting to a TV with HDMI and it worked fine.
As I write this I'm updating windows 10 and I'm going to install the GPU drivers (I can't install if windows isn't updated). Will this be the solution? Is the port damaged or the DVI cable?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
Oh, sorry indeed I missed that. That's a common problem with modern cards when being used with an analog monitor though, now you did mention that all of the ports; cable, and monitor- are dvi-digital, could it be that your monitor has an analog dvi input ? If you have a dvi-vga digital converter at hand, maybe you could try it out, see if there's still no image or not, then the port on your gpu wouldn't be at fault. What's the monitor you are using ?

nicob96

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017

it's a DVI-D (dual link) like the one in the image
dvi-d-single-dual.jpg

Death Valley

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Oh, sorry indeed I missed that. That's a common problem with modern cards when being used with an analog monitor though, now you did mention that all of the ports; cable, and monitor- are dvi-digital, could it be that your monitor has an analog dvi input ? If you have a dvi-vga digital converter at hand, maybe you could try it out, see if there's still no image or not, then the port on your gpu wouldn't be at fault. What's the monitor you are using ?

Solution

nicob96

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017

It's a Samsung SyncMaster SA300.
It started working from nowhere. Later I updated windows 10 and installed the drivers. It works like a charm. Thanks for your answers!

Death Valley

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hey glad to hear :) Sorry I couldn't figure it out either, but indeed, whilst making a new build you'll sometimes need to first install proper drivers like it was back in the days with previous windows os, at the lowest res (even though windows 10 is supposed to be driver free, clap clap Microsoft)
Hopefully it keeps on working !
Enjoy your build :)