GPU's Idle speeds and temps are higher than normal

bigcityslam

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YwtxZ8

I've been troubleshooting a stupid crash loop all day and I've finally gotten things working again. I've had to reinstall most of my programs on my SSD so I'm assuming this problem came from something I've done there. Basically MSI afterburner is telling my GPU (GTX 1080) is running at 5005 MHz on its memory and 1227 MHz on its core at idle. I'm used to it running at 405 MHz on the memory and 139 MHz on the core. This increased activity also brings the temperature up to almost 60 degrees when I'm used to seeing the idle at about 30.

Nothing is running on it as I've checked task manager except for Desktop Windows Manager and Client Server Runtime Process. I've reinstalled Nvidia drivers and MSI Afterburner once already. If I disable my second monitor the core and memory goes back to it's proper idle and my temperature drops back down to it's proper idle temp. I never had this problem before today so I'm at a loss.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I think it has to do with my refresh rates. My main monitor is 144hz and my secondary is 60. If I turn my main down to 120hz, I seem to fix it. However, I paid for 144hz and I would like to keep it. I've also noticed that I can't pick different refresh rates for each monitor. The "display adapter properties" in windows only allows me to pick one refresh rate for one monitor. Both of my monitors come up as Generic PnP in device manager.

Solution
If you prefer your cpu to be temperature optimal if you go to the nvidia control panel then click navigate to global settings and then make sure to select optimal power then it should return to 139 on the core

Tyler Paul_1

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
If you prefer your cpu to be temperature optimal if you go to the nvidia control panel then click navigate to global settings and then make sure to select optimal power then it should return to 139 on the core

Solution