GPUs, mini vs full lenght

May 2, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for years and I think it's time to ask for something.

I'm going to buy a new computer and I have decided all the parts and so, but regarding GPU I have a question:

Considering I'm going to put water cooling all around in the near future, probably I will end OCing it too. Since a short GPU with one fan should have the same stock performance as one longer with 3 fans (same clocks), I don't feel like buying a long one to end up quitting all the fans.

I like the idea to have a short GPU like Zotac 1060 6gb Mini, but when it comes to overclocking capabilities, all the mini GPUs have a 6x pin power conection, vs 8x pin that all the full size have.

Might be this a problem when OCing?

Solution
So far I know, OCing deppends mainly on cooling and voltage /clocks. If you have a low power model, like the zotac mini, it will probably not overclock as well as a 6+8 pin conector, regardless of your liquid coolin.

Anyways, since you're considering OC, you might as well think if 1050ti reach your needs; the simplest gtx 1060 (or even a rx 570) is way more powerful than a 1050ti is, and it will probably be cheaper than liquid-cooling it. At this point, I guess you do the water cooling more for the visuals than you do looking over performand, but just in case it is worth saying.

TL;DR: 1060 will performance better than any 1050ti regardless of OC, but if you wanna go watercooling then get a non-lowpower model :)

-Arke-

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
So far I know, OCing deppends mainly on cooling and voltage /clocks. If you have a low power model, like the zotac mini, it will probably not overclock as well as a 6+8 pin conector, regardless of your liquid coolin.

Anyways, since you're considering OC, you might as well think if 1050ti reach your needs; the simplest gtx 1060 (or even a rx 570) is way more powerful than a 1050ti is, and it will probably be cheaper than liquid-cooling it. At this point, I guess you do the water cooling more for the visuals than you do looking over performand, but just in case it is worth saying.

TL;DR: 1060 will performance better than any 1050ti regardless of OC, but if you wanna go watercooling then get a non-lowpower model :)

Solution