Question GPUs not working in old motherboard

marktwayne

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
I have an MSI H77MA-G43 motherboard with an Intel i7-3770, 32GB of RAM, and a 1000-watt power supply. Years ago, I was running two Radeon RX 580 GPUs in crossfire mode. At one point, I started experiencing crashes and the computer stopped detecting the RX 580s. However, it did recognize an RX 460, and I was able to use the computer for a couple of years until it also stopped detecting the RX 460.

As a result, I replaced the motherboard with a used one. At that time, I had already sold the RX 580s and was using the RX 460 in my computer. Recently, I decided to upgrade my graphics card. Initially, I tried installing an NVidia RTX 2070. Although the card was detected in the device manager and displayed video, the device manager showed an exclamation point in a yellow triangle and the display only worked with the Microsoft Basic Adapter. GPU-Z identified the card as having 0 memory. I then attempted to install an RX 5700xt, which also encountered similar problems. Unfortunately, I do not have another system to test these GPUs, but I suspect it may be possible that the graphics cards are functioning correctly and the issue lies elsewhere.

The board operates on PCIE 3.0 and I have the latest BIOS, version 1.D, dated October 2013. To the best of my knowledge, there should not be any compatibility issues between this board and these cards. Is it more likely that both GPUs are faulty, or could there be another issue? The RX 460 is still functioning properly.

marktwayne

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Rosewill Glacier 80 Plus Bronze

I have a few other power supplies, such as a Thermaltake 1500w Toughpower Gold as well as a 650-watt PSU if you think that's a likely culprit.