News Grab a 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD for $179: Real Deals

I thought it was the 980 drive. The issue is resolved from happening further, but it doesn't retroactively repair the bad areas of the drive. It only prevents further degredation. Bottomline, update the firmware as soon as you install the drive in your PC.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I wasn't aware that the release actually fixed the issues across the board. I hope so as I really like Samsung drives. They have been the 'easy button' for selecting a decent or better option.
Everything I have seen is that it is fixed going forward but if you had the drive running before installing the firmware it caused degradation that can't be fixed. Just one more reason to never by the absolute newest thing out there.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
I thought it was the 980 drive. The issue is resolved from happening further, but it doesn't retroactively repair the bad areas of the drive. It only prevents further degredation. Bottomline, update the firmware as soon as you install the drive in your PC.
I think it was both the 980 Pro and 990 Pro.

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Isn't this the Samsung drive with issues?

A firmware fix was released last month. I've repeatedly tried searching for users with units that still degrade after applying the update, and haven't found any. If you find any that still have issues with the drive, then please reply to this message.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Everything I have seen is that it is fixed going forward but if you had the drive running before installing the firmware it caused degradation that can't be fixed. Just one more reason to never by the absolute newest thing out there.

980 Pro isn't exactly new. It came out towards the end of 2020. What's more interesting is that the affected firmware is old like release firmware old, which raises the question of why this is issue is coming to light now. My 1 TB 980 Pro shipped with the problematic firmware when I got it back in early 2021. The latest firmware has been out for almost a year.

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Um Samsung 990 Pro 2TB PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 SSD
$143.99 + FREE SHIPPING
$279.99 Save: $136.00 (49%)
Coupon: SSD990LCS

they came up with a new firmware last week and so far my 990pro is stable at 98% life since black Friday 😅

so the price is 143.99 not .... price quoted here

Apr 7, 2023
970 1tb is about $60 right now for anyone who wants to just use a m2 for their operating system and are on a budget.. the performance is more than comparable if you are just using your PC for gaming. Look up benchmark comparisons for loading times in games you don't get a huge improvement for spending 4x as much on a drive as you would think.. it's not worth spending $200 for a m2 drive at this time imo.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
980 Pro isn't exactly new. It came out towards the end of 2020. What's more interesting is that the affected firmware is old like release firmware old, which raises the question of why this is issue is coming to light now. My 1 TB 980 Pro shipped with the problematic firmware when I got it back in early 2021. The latest firmware has been out for almost a year.

It was new when it had the broken firmware, and then they fixed it. Not sure what you mean by coming to light now. It was a degradation issue that cause parts of it to wear out much faster than normal so it took a bit for it to come up, then a bit for people to notice it, then a bit for it to get fixed.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
It was new when it had the broken firmware, and then they fixed it. Not sure what you mean by coming to light now. It was a degradation issue that cause parts of it to wear out much faster than normal so it took a bit for it to come up, then a bit for people to notice it, then a bit for it to get fixed.

I just meant the 980 Pro isnt the latest and greatest. Its been out since end of 2020. The firmware version thats been cited to be problematic, 3B2QGXA7, was the launch firmware. The "fixed" firmware from Samsung has been out for a year now. I would have expected more widespread reports of the premature failure of 980s given how rapid it seems to be. The 990 Pro having been out for roughly 6 months makes more sense timeline wise.