[SOLVED] Gradually worsening Black Screen, Loud Fans

Aaron_9

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Problem started after downloading Spotify and playing a game in the background. Not very intensive games, Titanfall 2 and Minecraft would crash after 10-20 minutes or so. Disabled hardware acceleration and that temporarily fixed it for roughly 12 hours and the problem started again.

Did some research and checked my temps, figured I’d replace the thermal paste and uninstall Spotify. A day passes and no crashes, seems I fixed it until today. Black screens immediately during boot screen, and consistently even after hard shutdown and resetting.

Doesn’t seem to be a temperature problem, as my GPU never exceeds 40°C and my CPU hangs around that temperature as well, typically lower when not in use. I run the power supply at AMD Ryzen High Performance setting at all times. Tried lowering it before the boot black screen to the default balanced and it would still occur before I replaced the thermal paste. Reinstalled my drivers and did a scan to find any corrupt files, came up empty.

No warranty as I purchased from a private seller amidst the GPU stock crisis, built this computer a little over a month ago and no problems up until now. Open to any and all solutions if available, would really prefer to save this thing instead of hunting for another GPU.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 2080 Super
MSI B550 Tomahawk
RM 850X 80+ Gold
Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, etc. that correspond with the crashes.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the timeline format may prove revealing with respect to the fixes you have tried to date.

Aaron_9

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Leaving this here for anyone else with a similar problem: Issue seems to be resolved after reslotting the card and adjusting the power cables to prevent any loosening. It appears the inputs were wriggling loose and the pins were just barely touching, causing the power shortage in the card.