Grain-Based Magnetic Recording Could Give Us 50 TB HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

inerax

Distinguished
Fun thing is people will find a way to fill it. People said i would never fill my 3tb.... I got news for them. I may have lots of junk but I still filled it.

Wonder what tech is next for mass storage.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Is this relevant to HAMR (or TAMR) currently being developed which also promises upto 50TB hard drives in the future, or is this something completely different? Would this have the ability to be combined with HAMR/TAMR to further enhance the storage capacities the same way HAMR/TAMR + BPM is expected to far exceed 50TB much later down the road?

This just leaves me with more questions.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Give them 50 TB drives and windows 10 will eat 5-10 TB! I still remember being able to make Windows XP as little as 300 - 500 MB and today we have 25 GB for about the same thing just with more eye candy.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This doesn't sounds like a new technique, it is just using smaller and smaller numbers of magnetic grains to hold a bit (until you are down to a single grain). While this certainly isn't trivial, it's not exactly a new idea.

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
10,000,000 songs. That is the actual number of how many 4 minute MP3s a 50TB HDD could hold, binary. Not enough.. 10 mil, dang.

No but, I think they should forget that, and research into a much faster technology, such as NANDS on SSDs.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]That's nice , but how durable will it be ? can anybody do a magnetic hard drive which will never brake (mechanically)[/citation]
I am pretty sure nothing mechanical can be made break proof.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
The first hard drives were 5MB, but I didn't get one of them. My first computer that could actually do something useful was an Osborne II with 2 5 1/4 inch floppies which ran the CPM operating system.

My first hard drive was 20MB, and that was somewhat later.

A 50TB drive will have 2 1/2 Billion times the storage that my first 20MB hard drive had, and 10 Billion times the storage that those 5MB hard drives had. And the 50TB hard drive will cost a small fraction of what the 5MB, 10MB, and 20MB hard drives cost. You may not be impressed, but you should be.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Not sure if I could ever trust 1 drive to hold 50TB of my data. Would have to RAID 1 them at the very least and then I might consider it.. Then again I have 128GB SSD, 640GB WD-Blue x2 and the overall 1408 GB of space is only being half used lol

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]I remember thinking I could never possibly fill my 1GB hard drive...[/citation]I remember notching 5.25in floppies so I could use the other side and double the capacity.

Why are people voting this down? Do you not understand that those 50TB of space will just be filled up with garbage? Or did the statement just go over your heads?

G

50 TB, now how long will it take to backup 50 TB, going to need a thunderbolt connection or faster.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Proximon[/nom]Why are people voting this down? Do you not understand that those 50TB of space will just be filled up with garbage? Or did the statement just go over your heads?[/citation]

My htpc is currently at 12tb and filling up fast( just 2tb left). If you start making iso's of your blurays, it disappears quickly.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Higher density not only means higher capacity, but also higher transfer rates.=D[/citation]
Density does not necessarily translate into higher transfer rates: today's HDDs have around 400X the density of drives from ~12 years ago but transfer rates have only increased by about 10X.

Part of the reason for this is that as magnetic domains shrink, read signals get weaker, SNR gets worse and more powerful DSP techniques need to be applied to clean up the signal and correct errors.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Only thing I dread about with larger and larger HDD capacity is when they fail and you have to get data from 3rd party recovery co. :p As long as these 50TB HDDs are very reliable and FAST then I am all for it.

G

Seagate and reliability in the same sentence? Laughable. I've gone through at least 7 RMAs between my 2 Seageate drives in the last 5 years. WD: 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS