Grand Theft Auto 5 Crashing

War_of_1812

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
So this is an odd problem, so my friend has a PC that has an 8-core AMD processor, 8gb of ram, and an MSI 960 4gb model, plenty of fans, good power supply, etc. He runs all games fine, but GTA5 on start up does this weird jittery effect and then crashes within 10 seconds of starting the game. All the drivers are up to date, the game is up to date, we have tried re-installing, we have tried file checking/file fixing in steam. I have Googled this problem countless times and have come up with nothing. I feel pretty bad about it because I convinced him to drop 60$ to play with me and he hasn't even been able to get to the main menu of it. It starts, does the Rockstar logo, begins to shake horizontally then when it shows the copyright warning and the three loading circles it freezes then crashes. I have no idea, but I figured someone on here would be able to shed some light on this garbage.

War_of_1812

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Next time I go over there I will try this. Just to clarify, so what I do is start the game, let it crash, close it, then open Event Viewer and navigate to the folder that has the title of GTA5 then get the error logs? pretty straight forward. Off the top of your head is there anything else I can try out? The more ideas the better, dude dropped 60$ nearly a month ago. I sense the resentment lol. Not really but I still feel pretty damn bad about it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure if it will specifically say GTA5, it might but it should give timestamps on when the crash occurred and what processes were involved. Some of the processes might have an idea what they are, if not google will help.

Off the top of my head is might try with 1 stick of memory only (If still crash, try the other stick), since GTA5 is really memory heavy, could have a memory stick slowly showing signs of going bad.

Another idea is to check if the System HDD is using primary Sata controller (Ie; AMD's Sata controller) or if an 3rd party controller is involved. It's common for motherboards to have at least two sets of Sata controllers from different parties. Updating the mass storage controller for both might be an idea to try, and also chipset drivers as well you can try updating.