Grand Theft Auto1 and 2 Dedicated Server

Hey, I am working on an interesting project that I had put off for a
while now but feel the need to complete it. As many of you know both
old Grand theft autos 1 and 2 have been released for free by Rockstar
games. While the game play is fun and the code has been modified to run
on newer pcs the multiplayer is still lacking. the multiplayer is a
TCP/IP direct play that is really meant to be administered on a LAN.
What I propose to do with my project is to create a dedicated server
that allows players of these games to play other people across the
internet with minimal network configuration modifying. The
client/server model would act as a Battle.Net type interface to allow
people to Host and Join games, have a user account, and have the server
keep win loss records for individual games/users. There is a lot of
work to be done in the technical aspect of things to get this going but
I believe that I should have a working server and client going in about
a month's time. If you have any questions, comments, or would like to
help me in this endeavor feel free to drop me an email. Progress on
GTADS (the name of the project, short for Grand Theft Auto Dedicated
Server) will be posted regularly at http://gtads.blogspot.com.

- Steven Day

You do know some people are still interested in playing GTA1 and 2
right? Just ask rockstar how many people had downloaded GTA1 and 2
after releasing it for free. Yes, I agree GTA3, VC are awesome but I
know many people who would be interested in playing the classics.

Thanks.

Andrew

On 23 May 2005 12:06:40 -0700, steven.day@gmail.com wrote:

>Hey, I am working on an interesting project that I had put off for a
>while now but feel the need to complete it. As many of you know both
>old Grand theft autos 1 and 2 have been released for free by Rockstar
>games.

Hands up who is interested in playing a top down DOS game after having
played GTA3/VC/(SA very soon)?

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in

> On 23 May 2005 12:06:40 -0700, steven.day@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Hey, I am working on an interesting project that I had put off for a
>>while now but feel the need to complete it. As many of you know both
>>old Grand theft autos 1 and 2 have been released for free by Rockstar
>>games.
>
> Hands up who is interested in playing a top down DOS game after having
> played GTA3/VC/(SA very soon)?

me

Andrew

On 23 May 2005 18:42:24 -0700, steven.day@gmail.com wrote:

>You do know some people are still interested in playing GTA1 and 2
>right? Just ask rockstar how many people had downloaded GTA1 and 2
>after releasing it for free. Yes, I agree GTA3, VC are awesome but I
>know many people who would be interested in playing the classics.

Fairy nuff. I was one of those downloaders, but the games only lasted
about 5 minutes on my hard drive before sense overcame nostalgia
pangs.

Exactly, just because a bunch of peeps dl'ed a free game doesn't imply these
same people are huge fans of the game. I downloaded the game, ripped the
music and deleted the game. I think your idea is 10 years too late.

--
Remove nospam to email
> On 23 May 2005 18:42:24 -0700, steven.day@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>You do know some people are still interested in playing GTA1 and 2
>>right? Just ask rockstar how many people had downloaded GTA1 and 2
>>after releasing it for free. Yes, I agree GTA3, VC are awesome but I
>>know many people who would be interested in playing the classics.
>
> Fairy nuff. I was one of those downloaders, but the games only lasted
> about 5 minutes on my hard drive before sense overcame nostalgia
> pangs.

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On 23 May 2005 12:06:40 -0700, steven.day@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Hey, I am working on an interesting project that I had put off for a
>>while now but feel the need to complete it. As many of you know both
>>old Grand theft autos 1 and 2 have been released for free by Rockstar
>>games.
>
>Hands up who is interested in playing a top down DOS game after having
>played GTA3/VC/(SA very soon)?

I always found it really annoying that you couldn't see where you were
going in GTA1 and that pull-back-and-see-more bit it did at high speed
didn't really help.

Fun in it's day, but after GTA:VC, I have NO interest at all in playing
GTA1 or 2 again - not even for the GOURANGA! joy of running over an
entire string of hare krishnas.

Funny how much the game has diverged from the original though, in that
for a game called Grand Theft Auto, you can't steal and sell cars as you
could in GTA, GTA2, GTA:London 1969.

Xocyll