[SOLVED] Graphcs Card Width

chemistu

Honorable
May 4, 2017
How wide can a 2 slot GPU get before it fouls the 3rd PCI-E slot?

Thanks for any help on this, I have searched for a while but my google-fu is weak today ...

Solution
I found that site and my current GPU, a rather elderly 6950, is a true 2- slot design and probably that wide.
AMD's reference blower cards look to be 2-slot, all 3rd party designs whether AMD or NVIDIA are wider.
I was just wondering how far into the 2.2, 2.3, 2.5 territory you can go before the next slot is unusable.

Looking at the gap between the cards I'm thinking maybe 36mm+6mm, 42mm? But that could be an expensive guess..

By definition, a 2.2 would take up 2 slots and .2 of the 3rd slot. If you want to use the 1st and 3rd slots, you will have to stick to a 2.0.

The industry standard distance from slot to slot is 20.23 mm and thus anything over 40.5 mm could be an issue.

chemistu

Honorable
May 4, 2017
I found that site and my current GPU, a rather elderly 6950, is a true 2- slot design and probably that wide.
AMD's reference blower cards look to be 2-slot, all 3rd party designs whether AMD or NVIDIA are wider.
I was just wondering how far into the 2.2, 2.3, 2.5 territory you can go before the next slot is unusable.

Looking at the gap between the cards I'm thinking maybe 36mm+6mm, 42mm? But that could be an expensive guess..

By definition, a 2.2 would take up 2 slots and .2 of the 3rd slot. If you want to use the 1st and 3rd slots, you will have to stick to a 2.0.

The industry standard distance from slot to slot is 20.23 mm and thus anything over 40.5 mm could be an issue.

Reactions: chemistu
Solution
How wide can a 2 slot GPU get before it fouls the 3rd PCI-E slot?

Thanks for any help on this, I have searched for a while but my google-fu is weak today ...

How is your ruler-fu? measure to the point of the slot you want to stop short of. If the card would go into the 3rd slot then they would have it as 3 slot video card not a 2 wide one. I have never seen a card marked as a 2.2 or some other thing.

chemistu

Honorable
May 4, 2017
Thanks! that's more or less what I thought. Time to check out some technical specifications, 3rd party coolers seem to push the width of cards upto 50mm+ in some cases