Graphene Enhances Efficiency of Heat Spreaders by 25 Percent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Somehow it feels like technology will jump 10 years ahead when we finally master graphene production. It's almost as good as duct tape.

G

A Graphene CPU cooler in my Corsair Graphite 600t. A perfect match :D

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]So, what does this mean boys n girls?You can get an extra 100mhz overclock on ur bulldozer!=D[/citation]
It means we might see passively cooled 78xx-series... ( or more likely 88xx or 98xx )

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
"The conductivity of copper-graphene increases with lower temperatures and decreases with substantially higher temperatures. Kasichainula said that the conductivity was 510 W/mK at -23 degrees Celsius and 440 W/mK at 77 degrees Celsius."

So the law of diminishing returns strikes again. What's the conductivity at 100C? Since some hardware gets above 77C...If its worse than copper this should be relegated to lower power devices. Since you know carbon isnt known for its heat conductivity.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
While reading this, all I could think off was... Why don't just try to make the whole thing off this material? Would it work without the copper? If possible, how lower temperatures can/could get?

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED

Diamond is one of the better known heat conductors actually. Diamonds being made of carbon.

suddenstop

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]"The conductivity of copper-graphene increases with lower temperatures and decreases with substantially higher temperatures. Kasichainula said that the conductivity was 510 W/mK at -23 degrees Celsius and 440 W/mK at 77 degrees Celsius."So the law of diminishing returns strikes again. What's the conductivity at 100C? Since some hardware gets above 77C...If its worse than copper this should be relegated to lower power devices. Since you know carbon isnt known for its heat conductivity.[/citation]

Well maybe they wouldn't get that hot anymore. Place a fan on it and as temp comes down the sink pulls more heat. The cooler it gets the cooler it gets. Also, hot areas of the sink would have slightly less thermal conductivity than cooler places - better distributing the heat load across the entire sink. My cpu at 4G stays under 60c and my gpu hangs out at 80c. In both cases this technology would be a massive improvement.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]suddenstop[/nom]Well maybe they wouldn't get that hot anymore. Place a fan on it and as temp comes down the sink pulls more heat. The cooler it gets the cooler it gets. Also, hot areas of the sink would have slightly less thermal conductivity than cooler places - better distributing the heat load across the entire sink. My cpu at 4G stays under 60c and my gpu hangs out at 80c. In both cases this technology would be a massive improvement.[/citation]
True but if youre willing to risk your hardware on it first be my guest. And note your comment about 80C gpu... at 77C its barely any better than plain copper. So if you extrapolate that to temps above 77C it will be worse than copper.

And Neon: When did they start making graphene out of diamonds? Oh yeah they dont. they use 1 atom thick sheets of carbon which makes it closer to the graphite in your pencil than the diamond on your finger and a poor conductor of heat.

This is great news! Even with recent die shrinks servers are still having heat issues, this could really help with the 1U markets.
Also the GPU market could benefit for this as well, perhaps paving the way for high end single slot cards again? Or perhaps better passive heat sinks?
You still need good air exchange to pump the heat out of your case, but anything that can better transfer the temperature from the CPU to the air is something worth moving towards... especially if it is cheaper than what we are already using.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]True but if youre willing to risk your hardware on it first be my guest. And note your comment about 80C gpu... at 77C its barely any better than plain copper. So if you extrapolate that to temps above 77C it will be worse than copper. And Neon: When did they start making graphene out of diamonds? Oh yeah they dont. they use 1 atom thick sheets of carbon which makes it closer to the graphite in your pencil than the diamond on your finger and a poor conductor of heat.[/citation]

Graphene is extremely thermally conductive. Carbon has many allotropes, best not to generalize about all of them at once.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]True but if youre willing to risk your hardware on it first be my guest. And note your comment about 80C gpu... at 77C its barely any better than plain copper. So if you extrapolate that to temps above 77C it will be worse than copper. And Neon: When did they start making graphene out of diamonds? Oh yeah they dont. they use 1 atom thick sheets of carbon which makes it closer to the graphite in your pencil than the diamond on your finger and a poor conductor of heat.[/citation]
Neon was responding to your statement that "carbon isnt known for its heat conductivity." Clearly, he showed that it is. One of the important determining factors of thermal conductivity is the strength of the bonds between atoms (similar to hook's constant in a spring). C-C bonds are strong bonds. The reason graphite doesn't conduct heat well is that there is very low bond strength BETWEEN layers. In fact, this is a commonly used principle for creating thermal insulators: make lots of layers.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
graphene this graphene that graphene my ass... when are we going to see anything that actually benefits us but articles how great graphene is?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]computernerdforlife[/nom]lostmyclan: Your English is broken beyond repair. Even "cooper" can't help you. Perhaps you can "why u shut up".[/citation]

Kindly remember this is not a US site. THG is owned by a French company. so let's not criticize non-native English speakers for their use of the -american-English language (how good is YOUR French or German?) but let's judge by the content of a post as it relates to the topic!

Smile and the world smiles with you :)

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]While reading this, all I could think off was... Why don't just try to make the whole thing off this material? Would it work without the copper? If possible, how lower temperatures can/could get?[/citation]
yeah it would. but it would cost even more then your entire house.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
If my memory of high school physics is right, the strength of diamond comes from its more complex interlacing latice structure. Counter to intuitive reasoning, you want pockets, tiny holes, in your heat conductive surface as opposed to a solid mass - this is of course speaking at the microscopic level. Carbon is known for its varying complex latice structure of its bonds, diamond having one of the strongest.

I'm a little surprised more hasn't been done with graphene in the past. Carbon has been worked into everything, you would think there would have been a push for something like this a while ago. I'm more suprised that composite metals haven't been pushed more since they are usually cheaper than any pure metla alternateive, and often can be made at equal or better performace standards.

My PC awaits the replacement of my copper CPU and GPU waterblock with a carbon/copper composite one! :sol:

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I wish they would have released a graph showing the heat conductivity curve across 20-100C as compared with copper.

that way we can see if it will provide any benefit with a higher TDP CPU

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
freggo: I'm glad you asked. French is my first language and i've lived in Germany for over a month. I thank you for considering my culture(French), my preferred spoken/written language(English), and my prefered country to travel to in Europe all in one message.

Bonne journee et passe une bonne fin de semaine.

Desertlax

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
[citation][nom]zingam_duo[/nom]graphene this graphene that graphene my ass... when are we going to see anything that actually benefits us but articles how great graphene is?[/citation]

Patience my young padawan.....the scientists are sciencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.