Question Graphic bug that is causing text in games to flicker / pixilate as well as small black artifacts in one particular game.

Jul 30, 2021
I recently got a bug where text inside games will shimmer / flicker. It's usually on the loading screens, menus and anywhere there text elements that I'm assuming is all editable for different languages. Everything non text related seems to be fine. I think it could have something to do with Unity games but not positive. On one of the games, Phasmophobia, I get the text glitch as well as small black pixilated "artifacts?". I took 2 screen captures (HOME+ALT+PRTSCR) and none of the artifacts showed up in the pictures. I took a pic with my phone and was able to capture what I was seeing. Pic: View: https://imgur.com/a/1rE4fZh

When it's black fonts on white background, the text shimmers / pixilates in various parts of the sentence and the text shimmers from normal black to light gray. It does this for both MTGA, Days Gone and Phasmophobia. I can play non Unity games like No Man Sky on Ultra with DLSS enabled and it runs flawlessly.

I've spent days trying to figure out how to resolve this issue and tried every single option in the GeForce control panel and nothing helped except lowering my resolution from 1080 to a lower resolution which makes the games look horrible but stops the shimmering and changes it to blurry text but does not fix Phasmophobia. Changing antiscopic filtering to x16 helped with the text issues in MTG Arena, along with some other tweaks to Nvidia control panel that was given to me by a Nvidia support tech and changing Sync Interval from 143 to 71 helped solve the problem with Days Gone but these are just work around to whatever the underlining problem is that i'm having. I've found no fix for Phasmophobia black pixilated artifacts and I've tried just about everything. I can't find anyone else online who has this same issue.

Games that have this issue: MTG Arena, Days Gone and Phasmophobia.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. So far I've made sure windows 10 and all drivers was up to date, did a clean install of the graphic's driver, uninstalled and reinstalled a game, changed to lower refresh rates, changed all graphic, physx and 3D settings to default, changed every Nvidia 3D setting one by one to try and narrow it down and eventually did a full reset of my laptop and nothing has made my laptop how it was a few weeks ago when it was running all games flawlessly on High and Ultra settings. I took a break from gaming for a month so any gpu drivers or windows updates from the past 2 months could be a possible culprit.

[Display]
Operating System: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
DirectX version: 12.0
GPU processor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
Driver version: 471.41
Driver Type: DCH
Direct3D feature level: 12_1
CUDA Cores: 2304
Core clock: 1455 MHz
Memory data rate: 11.00 Gbps
Memory interface: 256-bit
Memory bandwidth: 352.06 GB/s
Total available graphics memory: 16291 MB
Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB GDDR6
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 8099 MB
Video BIOS version: 90.06.56.00.51
IRQ: Not used
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen3
Device Id: 10DE 1F14 12B81462
Part Number: 4914 0031

[Components]

nvui.dll 8.17.14.7141 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdplcy.dll 8.17.14.7141 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdbat.dll 8.17.14.7141 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdapix.dll 8.17.14.7141 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
NVCPL.DLL 8.17.14.7141 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvCplUIR.dll 8.1.940.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe 8.1.940.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSSR.dll 30.0.14.7141 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvWSS.dll 30.0.14.7141 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvSR.dll 30.0.14.7141 NVIDIA Video Server
nvViTvS.dll 30.0.14.7141 NVIDIA Video Server
nvLicensingS.dll 6.14.14.7141 NVIDIA Licensing Server
nvDevToolSR.dll 30.0.14.7141 NVIDIA Licensing Server
nvDevToolS.dll 30.0.14.7141 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvDispSR.dll 30.0.14.7141 NVIDIA Display Server
nvDispS.dll 30.0.14.7141 NVIDIA Display Server
PhysX 09.19.0218 NVIDIA PhysX
NVCUDA64.DLL 30.0.14.7141 NVIDIA CUDA 11.4.94 driver
nvGameSR.dll 30.0.14.7141 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll 30.0.14.7141 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

Jul 30, 2021
After spending another 2 hours adjusting every single Nvidia option and in game options in Phasmophobia, I wasn't able to find anything that helped but I did find some options that made the black specks much worse. This may help narrow down what the issue is. Vsync and Ambient Occultation made it very bad. Volumetric Lighting made it fairly worse. Screen Space Reflection and turning off Anisotropic made it slightly worse. I feel like it's a light or shader issue but definitely could be a windows or driver update that is conflicting.

I've had an issue with flickering text inside game menus, loading screens and anywhere there is text. I also have an issue with black pixilated specks that flutter all over the screen in particular areas of a lit up house in the game Phasmophobia.

I've spent the past 4 days trying to figure out the problem and literally tried everything including a total reset of my laptop and until today nothing has helped. I loaded up MTG Arena, which was having bad flickering text, and when I unplugged my laptop, all of the issues went away and it looked perfect. I did the same thing in Phasmophobia and once again, all of the black specks that's been haunting me all week went away. A non Unity game, No Man Sky, has not had any issues what so ever. I'm able to play it on ultra settings with DLSS. Anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Any suggestions on things I could try or a way to figure out what to replace would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: