Graphic Card Broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qt Yoona

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Hello

I was playing a video game when suddenly my screen got full of vertical lines and I was forced to manually restart my laptop.

When rebooting after the windows logo screen my screen would look weird with artifacts, horizontal lines, flashing, etc. Logging in I could see a windows error message that something was wrong with my graphics driver. I couldn't really change anything here, because the screen was so messed up and my computer reacted very slowly.

I then booted into safe mode and removed my driver. After this I could restart Windows normally (with the low resolution due to not having a driver). So I then went to AMDs website installed the latest driver, after successfully installing and rebooting the same problem with the haywire screen started again.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or is my 7970m simply broken?

Thanks

Maybe. What are your temperatures? Please download HWMonitor and screenshot the temperatures. Also, have you tried overclocking the graphics at all?

HWMonitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

- Sam

Qt Yoona

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Right now I'm running without a driver so my GPU doesn't show up in HWMonitor.

However I already had it installed in the past and my GPU temps never got that high honestly.

2h669lw.jpg

Either way these are my temps right now. Without the GPU as you can see.

First of all, why don't you have any drivers? This could be the issue with your PC.

- Sam

Qt Yoona

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015

The moment I install a graphic driver my screen goes haywire.

Here is an example of what it looks like the last time I tried it:
2lnye6d.jpg

bignastyid

Titan
It's either a bad gpu a a screen issue. Can ypu attach an external monitor? If so try it, if it happens on the external it's a bad gpu if the external looks fine its the lcd or lcd cable. Odds are it's the gpu where it suddenly started to occur.

Qt Yoona

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Yes, I'm sorry I'm not a native english speaker :(

I don't have an external monitor right now, I could try that tomorrow. However that yellow icon in my picture says that something is wrong with the driver, so I expect it's the GPU. I just don't know if it it's a driver issue (and how I can fix this) or if my gpu is dead.

Is the driver fully updated?

Also, Sorry bignastyid. It's been a long night and I forget the extra things people write the the threads.

- Sam

Qt Yoona

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Yeh, it says it installs fine without problems. Then it asks me to reboot, so I do that. Rebooting it shows my laptop manufacturer screen then the windows loading screen and then after this where you type your login password is when it goes wrong.

I still can't decide if it's broken or not because you said that the artifacts only appear when you log on...

- Sam

Qt Yoona

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Yes, that's why I thought it was a driver issue. But Then again the crash came on a stable driver I've been using for months and I've tried 3 different drivers by now all with the same problem. So I'm a bit lost on what to do now.

For now the laptop is still useable on integrated graphics, but ofcourse not ideal during graphic intensive tasks.

At the logon screen the artifacts are also there btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.