[SOLVED] Graphic card burned out?

ammos

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
Can I post a photo of my graphic card here. I have a weird rainbow look to the metal grill of the card. Not sure what causing this. I am able to wipe it off as if it’s light oil. My first thought that it’s been overheating and made the metal look like electric burn.

I am unable to play any game my FPS will drop below 15 then back to 60+ making my screen feel like it’s lagging when I look side to side.

Here my spec Thermaltake tower 900, intel i5-7400 3ghz, Zotac Gtx 1060 6gb 192bit Gddr5, 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX Ddr4 8Gb 3000Mhz, Asus Strix B250F, Samsung Ssd 970 Evo M.2 1Tb. Asus G-sync PG279Q monitor, Corsair Sv550 psu

Solution
Replacement GPU fans aren't too hard to come by. Usually just take the model name and add replacement fan into ebay or amazon. Long as they look about right, they usually are.

https://www.amazon.com/inRobert-Bea...b+replacement+fan&qid=1581019434&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Normal operation without a fan wouldn't usually lead to temperatures hot enough to cause that. If the card has been treated roughly enough to have a broken fan, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't physical damage elsewhere.

If your GPU does have a short on it, around the display outputs. Best thing would be an IR camera to see where the heat is coming from, even an infrared thermometer would...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Huh, that does look like heating discoloration. Is it more than warm to the touch during operation?

Might have a shorted pin in one of the video connectors that is enough to cause local heating, but not enough to cause the PSU to go into over current.

Certainly try playing some games with just your i5-7400 integrated graphics and see if that is at least consistent. (Without the GPU being plugged in)

If you can borrow a GPU, that would be good to try as well.

ammos

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
Huh, that does look like heating discoloration. Is it more than warm to the touch during operation?

Might have a shorted pin in one of the video connectors that is enough to cause local heating, but not enough to cause the PSU to go into over current.

Certainly try playing some games with just your i5-7400 integrated graphics and see if that is at least consistent. (Without the GPU being plugged in)

If you can borrow a GPU, that would be good to try as well.

I did try using my old gtx 550ti the games I’m playing this was enough to run on med settings was horrible playing via hdim and my case so big had trouble getting leads to reach this card as the power socket. But this was annoying to play on so switch them back and I am able to play with my 1060 just runs into frame issues and has a blade missing on the fan which may be causing it to overheat

ammos

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
I do have Asus Prime z370-p Still new in seal box I was thinking of upgrading the processor and graphic card. If the cause to my 1060 is from my psu then which psu should I go with. Trying to spend little as possible at same time make it worth the upgrade.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Replacement GPU fans aren't too hard to come by. Usually just take the model name and add replacement fan into ebay or amazon. Long as they look about right, they usually are.

https://www.amazon.com/inRobert-Bea...b+replacement+fan&qid=1581019434&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Normal operation without a fan wouldn't usually lead to temperatures hot enough to cause that. If the card has been treated roughly enough to have a broken fan, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't physical damage elsewhere.

If your GPU does have a short on it, around the display outputs. Best thing would be an IR camera to see where the heat is coming from, even an infrared thermometer would be somewhat useful. If it isn't getting warm enough to hurt your fingers though, something else is wrong. Cards can die.

Sounds like the PSU has no issues running the computer with a different GPU. Which says it is fine.

Really that monitor needs something like an RTX2080 and up to push reasonable frame rates in later titles. VS550 is a little light for something like that. So if you are in the market for a new GPU, I usually recommend the Corsair RMx or RM series. All that would go pretty well with something you can shove in a Z370 board. 650W would be okay, but if you intend overclocking the 750 or 850W versions are best.

Reactions: ammos
Solution

ammos

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
Thanks for your feedback. I do take care when handling pc parts sadly the fan snap off when cleaning the dust out the thickness of those blades not very strong and have looked into getting it replaced hopefully I can find one that fits as I took apart some old cards none of the fan mounts lined up right. I was looking at gtx 1660 cards not sure if that’s a good card, I believe my z370 takes 9gen processor so my i5 won’t work. The card doesn’t overheat I’m pretty certain that it’s keeps to around 30-70* and those marks on the grill have wiped off using a damp cloth as if it’s nothing but oil. It’s looks seriously burnt but if it was that surely the marks wouldn’t wipe off so easy.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Surface discoloration of metal is due to heat and oxygen. Typically you see those colors as different oxides are formed, in this case, probably nickel (nickel plating/galvanization/first layer of chrome plating) or chromium (chrome plating) oxides which are generally very colorful. They are no longer really well bonded to the surface of the metal and can be wiped off. They were thin plating layers to begin with, not exactly industrial coatings.

GPU temperature sensor will be at the core and on the VRMs. This discoloration is not happening there, so unless you have measured this temperature directly, you can't rely on the card's sensors. Again, if the backplate is getting really warm, this would indicate the problem. Basically a fire hazard if it is.

Just based on the pattern I would take a close look at the DVI port for damage. 12 and 3.3 volts is supplied through the PCIe slot, DVI uses 5V, which must be being supplied by the card. If the DVI pins are shorted, there could be several amps flowing through there and heating the metal up. But as long as the resistance is high enough it might not trip the over current protection on the PSU. Since not much 5V current is needed in your late model PC, and the VS is an older design, willing to supply 110W on 5V before it shuts off.

GTX1660 is what it is. Depends on what you mean by a good card. Certainly the direct replacement for the GTX1060. Only slower cards from that generation are the 1650 and 1650 Super, with the latter being very close in performance. Basically RTX cards without ray tracing. Alternative would be something like the RX5700, though that more competes with the 1660Ti and RTX2060.

Certainly not up to spec with a 1440p 144hz monitor (I have the same one), but that depends a lot on the games you play. Recent AAA titles will be around 60FPS at best unless you cut back on the settings.

Yes, you won't be able to use your current CPU with a Z370 board. Needs to be Coffelake, so 8th and 9th gen only. Only reasonable chips worth going for at the moment are the 8700k, 9700k, and 9900k. 9600k is borderline. AMD chips are basically superior across the board below that point. R5-3600 will get you the same core config as the 8700k with similar overclocking potential. Comes with a cooler, and the motherboards are cheaper.

Reactions: ammos

ammos

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
Thanks again you really help with the info. I will get back to you in a week or so as my pc in parts atm been using my mobile to reply. I’m waiting on some thermal paste to arrive I also have to work so won’t have much time. I should be good with the info you gave much appreciated.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not absolute musts. Just depends on how much you want that monitor to be running at its capabilities. If you like older or lighter games: CS:GO, Rocket League, and other esports titles then a 1660 might be all you need. But if you like the latest high fidelity games you need a high end card to go along with it. Even my GTX1080 is starting to show its age.

9900k is an expensive processor. Really only something to go after if you want the absolute best performance in gaming. 8700k will get you about 90% of the way there, and a 9700k a tiny bit closer. 9700k disadvantage is the lack of hyperthreading, so for non-gaming tasks it is a little slower than the other ones. (also a small advantage, all the security vulnerabilities in Intel's lineup are heavily dependent on hyper threading)

Sadly, due to the new tariffs, PSU prices are going up rapidly.