Question Graphic Card Fans don't spin.

May 1, 2019
Hello Guys,
i got a problem with my GPU fan, which i already stated in another thread, but i probably was missunderstood.
So since the start of the week my GPU fan is not behaving as it normally does.
The GPU never spins in idle mode or when doing low-demand stuff ,which is fine as the fan only starts to spin when it is under load.
The problem appears, when i am playing video games, the temperature is slowly rising with rising game time reaching critical 90°C.
But even then the fans are still not spinning, which leads to massive FPS drops. And then randomly (after 5-10 minutes), the fan starts to spin with 100% speed.
I downloaded Zotac Firestorm to control the GPU Fan speed, but it is not changing anything. I also tried MSI Afterburner with same results. Graphic card drivers are updated.
Thanks for your help.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASRock A320M-DGS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: 2x 8GB G-Skill DDR4-2400
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Mini
PSU: 400 Watt be quiet! System Power 8 Non-Modular 80+
HDD: 1000GB Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 7.200U/min 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Are you sure there is no wire/cable stuck in between the GPU fans ? Try to reseat the video card on the PCI-e sot once again. Shut down the PC, remove all the power connectors, and then plug in the 6-PIN PCI-e cable from your PSU. The fans should spin after a certain TEMP threshold has been reached.

The card might also be faulty then.

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
Can you check if anyone has made a custom fan profile on afterburner or any other fan controller, including the bios. Also, please check the fan power cable is properly connected on the GPU. If you have another gpu you could try connecting one of those fans to the connector, if you can get it to spin then you know your fan has died.

May 1, 2019
Are you sure there is no wire/cable stuck in between the GPU fans ? Try to reseat the video card on the PCI-e sot once again. Shut down the PC, remove all the power connectors, and then plug in the 6-PIN PCI-e cable from your PSU. The fans should spin after a certain TEMP threshold has been reached.

The card might also be faulty then.
Already did all of those things, didnt work out.

Can you check if anyone has made a custom fan profile on afterburner or any other fan controller, including the bios. Also, please check the fan power cable is properly connected on the GPU. If you have another gpu you could try connecting one of those fans to the connector, if you can get it to spin then you know your fan has died.

No custom fan profiles made.
How can i check the BIOS?
And fan is spinning but only sometimes (5 minutes after full load)

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
I'm not familiar with your motherboard but some of them have fan controllers in the bios. It might be worth checking the instructions.

Speaking of the bios it would be worth updating to the most current bios version or doing a bios reset (remove the lithium battery for a few minutes).

TRENDING THREADS