[SOLVED] Graphic card fans not spinning, Constantly at 0 rpm

Luscion

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015
I have a Zotac GTX 1070 AMP Edition graphics card and recently the fans just stopped spinning, they also dont even spin when starting up. The card works fine, i'm still able to change the rgb on it etc.if i attempt to game the temps shoot up to around 90c but again, the fans dont spin.I've tried manually setting the fan speed using Firestorm and MSI Afterburner but nothing works. HWmonitor shows the fan rpm at 0% constantly and when i go and physically check the card the fans arent spinning, but the "Fans PWM" reads at the speed i manually set the fans to run at. I've also tried replacing the fans, mind you from a ASUS GTX 1060 i had laying around but even that didnt work. Not sure what the problem is.

CPU: I5 3570K
GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 AMP
HDD: Seagate 1tb HDD @7200rpm
RAM: 16gb HyperX
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 700W 80+ Bronze

Last edited:
Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Double check that the fans do indeed spin freely - not jammed or stuck in some manner. Especially if you have, as mentioned, swapped out fans. E.g., they spin but once temperatures increase something expands and the fans get stuck. Or a crack causes loss of power.

What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Could be that the PSU is not able to sufficiently power the computer and all of its' components or the PSU is now failing in some manner and no longer capable of meeting power demands.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Double check that the fans do indeed spin freely - not jammed or stuck in some manner. Especially if you have, as mentioned, swapped out fans. E.g., they spin but once temperatures increase something expands and the fans get stuck. Or a crack causes loss of power.

What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Could be that the PSU is not able to sufficiently power the computer and all of its' components or the PSU is now failing in some manner and no longer capable of meeting power demands.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Solution

Luscion

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015
Yup the fans do spin freely, i even put the old fans back on it to see if they'd work again, there's more than enough room. The PSU is a Thermaltake TR2 700W 80+ Bronze its about 6yrs old. and yea the gpu is idling around 50c but if i manually set the fan curve there's no fan spin. dont have a multimeter would have to go get one and report back.

Apr 15, 2019
Hi Luscion. Any progress so far?
I have the exact problem with my old HD 5850. Nothing blocking the fan. It is almost 0 RPM. Hardware Monitor shows around 100 RPM but when I check it physically, fan is trying to spin but stops in 2 seconds.

Luscion

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015
Ok so you were right Ralston18, turns out the problem was that i wasnt using the right cables, i was using two 6 + 2 pin connectors from the power supply to power the GPU, which was enough for the previous gpu (1060) and seemed to be enough for this one for a week or so. So i found the two 8 pin adapters that came with the gpu which required two 6 pin connectors, hooked both up to the gpu and now the fans spin