Graphic card for 34 inch monitor

Lorenzo Cavallaro

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Hello everyone,
and sorry for my bad english!

Here's the thing:
It's almost Christmast and I'd like to buy the LG34um65 monitor for my pc but I'm not sure
if my 760i 2GB can handle it. I'm asking if you can help me or
suggest alternatives which in your opinion would be better.

Here are the Pc Specs:

i5 4670k not in overclock
GTX 760i 2GB
8 GB ram 1600
Asus z87-k

Hope to hear from you soon :)

Thank you!

Solution
Hello,

That monitor has an IPS panel, so 14ms seems the legit value. It will be great for productivity and movies (high image quality, very good color reproduction, almost perfect viewing angles), but not so great for gaming (it will lag especially in FPS/MMORPG or heavy racing; for RTS will be OK).

Your 760 will struggle to give good FPS at ultra quality settings (max. 30FPS), so you will dial down the quality to high. The best match will be an GTX770 4GB, GTX970 or R9-290.

Lorenzo Cavallaro

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
The monitor has 2560x1080 resolution and the 760 is the 2GB one,
but I'm not sure of this monitor because i found on the official site
that it has 14ms response time, while amazon and other state it at
5ms, so i don't really know if it'd be worth it.

thanks for the quick reply :)

Cristi72

Admirable
Hello,

That monitor has an IPS panel, so 14ms seems the legit value. It will be great for productivity and movies (high image quality, very good color reproduction, almost perfect viewing angles), but not so great for gaming (it will lag especially in FPS/MMORPG or heavy racing; for RTS will be OK).

Your 760 will struggle to give good FPS at ultra quality settings (max. 30FPS), so you will dial down the quality to high. The best match will be an GTX770 4GB, GTX970 or R9-290.

Solution

Cristi72

Admirable

Sorry, your motherboard don't support SLI, so you cannot use a pair of 760s. Also, a setup of multiple GPUs have the same amount of graphics memory as the separate individual cards (a pair of 2GB GTX760 has the same 2GB of graphics memory available, that's how the technology works).

Lorenzo Cavallaro

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Thank you! So I think I'll buy a new gpu like a 970 4GB this year and wait for summer to upgrade my monitor..

Just one more question: you said I have to turn down the quality from ultra high to high with the 34 inches...does it mean I can take a 29 inches monitor with the same resolution but 5ms response time and still have 60 fps with high settings with my 760?
Or is it wiser to upgrade the gpu to be able to play the upcoming games and only then care fore the monitor?
Open to suggestion as always :)
And thank you all for helping me!

Cristi72

Admirable

It is all about the resolution, not the monitor' size; in other words: the same resolution will make the system to behave identically, no matter how big is the monitor (of course, a smaller monitor will seem to have much sharper image, but that's not the point).

If you want more performance from your system, go for the GTX970; next year, Samsung should also release its line of ultra-wide displays, so maybe the prices will go down and you will be able to pick a much better deal.