Question Graphic card for i5 4660k?

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, Everyone.
Any suggestion please, my current CPU is i5 4690k with 8 Gskill 8 GB ram and MSI Z79 Guard PRO. I am planning to buy a graphic card today. So, what graphic card should I buy? (RX 5700 XT, GTX 1660 Ti, RTX 2060 or any suggestion please).

Thanks in advance.
greds

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, Everyone.
Any suggestion please, my current CPU is i5 4690k with 8 Gskill 8 GB ram and MSI Z79 Guard PRO. I am planning to buy a graphic card today. So, what graphic card should I buy? (RX 5700 XT, GTX 1660 Ti, RTX 2060 or any suggestion please).

Thanks in advance.
greds

Jul 29, 2019
thanks, I am very confused right now. I would like to go for RX 5700 XT but yeah will have to deal with the blower-style card and will it be overkill if I go with RX 5700 XT.

Corsair VS 550
You really should change that, that PSU is notoriously garbage quality and anything over a GT 1030 is a fire risk on that PSU. Get a proper power supply first, then think about GPU's. For the price, a Corsair CX550 is a good unit, and if you want to invest in a long-term option then Seasonic Focus Plus Gold or Corsair TX or Corsair RMx are all good choices for higher-end power supplies. Replace that PSU ASAP if you value your components.

As for the GPU, I think you should keep it to 1660 Ti, no need to spend more unless you also plan on upgrading the CPU or monitor soon, or if you want hardware Ray Tracing, in which case RTX 2060 should be your choice. For a 1080p monitor I don't think you need the RX 5700 XT.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
You really should change that, that PSU is notoriously garbage quality and anything over a GT 1030 is a fire risk on that PSU. Get a proper power supply first, then think about GPU's. For the price, a Corsair CX550 is a good unit, and if you want to invest in a long-term option then Seasonic Focus Plus Gold or Corsair TX or Corsair RMx are all good choices for higher-end power supplies. Replace that PSU ASAP if you value your components.

As for the GPU, I think you should keep it to 1660 Ti, no need to spend more unless you also plan on upgrading the CPU or monitor soon, or if you want hardware Ray Tracing, in which case RTX 2060 should be your choice. For a 1080p monitor I don't think you need the RX 5700 XT.

I agree. Get a better PSU then save up and consider a 1660 Ti or 2060

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks. Any watt suggestion for 3 HDD and 1 NVME? I might also get more HDD in future, So, please suggest me a future proof PSU. Thanks

Thanks. Highest resolution is 1920X1080. I think its 60 Hz
The the 5700XT in my opinion is over the top for 1080p 60Hz. The 2060 is over the top except for the few games that support Ray Tracing if that’s something you care about. The 1660Ti would be a great choice if you are not bothered about Ray Tracing.

The games that support Ray Tracing are very cpu heavy and are games you will see FPS under 60 due to cpu.

Jul 29, 2019
The the 5700XT in my opinion is over the top for 1080p 60Hz. The 2060 is over the top except for the few games that support Ray Tracing if that’s something you care about. The 1660Ti would be a great choice if you are not bothered about Ray Tracing.

The games that support Ray Tracing are very cpu heavy and are games you will see FPS under 60 due to cpu.

Thanks sizzling

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, thank you for your input. However, I would like to include that I am not going to use the computer for gaming only. I will be using the computer for video editing, web development. So, it'll will be for workstation for of the time. So, please suggest me more on how to proceed this. Do I buy PSU and graphic card or Do I upgrade the CPU, MB and RAM as well (No budget to upgrade CPU, MB and RAM now anyway)?
So, please give me a suggestion more on this. Thanks in advance again.

Guys, thank you for your input. However, I would like to include that I am not going to use the computer for gaming only. I will be using the computer for video editing, web development. So, it'll will be for workstation for of the time. So, please suggest me more on how to proceed this. Do I buy PSU and graphic card or Do I upgrade the CPU, MB and RAM as well (No budget to upgrade CPU, MB and RAM now anyway)?
So, please give me a suggestion more on this. Thanks in advance again.
Should have mentioned that previously. Anyway, if you want to do workstation stuff as well, then you will need to decide whether you want better performance in games only, or in video editing as well. Do you have the budget to do a completely new system, as a platform upgrade to something like the Ryzen 5 3600 would do you much good. If not, then like I said you'll just need to set a budget and decide whether you want better video editing performance or better FPS in games.

Jul 29, 2019
Should have mentioned that previously. Anyway, if you want to do workstation stuff as well, then you will need to decide whether you want better performance in games only, or in video editing as well. Do you have the budget to do a completely new system, as a platform upgrade to something like the Ryzen 5 3600 would do you much good. If not, then like I said you'll just need to set a budget and decide whether you want better video editing performance or better FPS in games.

Sorry Shektron. Ma bad. Thank you for your time. There is no budget to upgrade CPU, MB and RAM now. And yes of course, I want better video editing performance.

The most performance uplift, staying on your current platform would have to be an upgrade to a i7 4790k. Although they may be easy to find used on eBay, there's no telling how much voltage was ran through those chips for overclocking. To get a significant performance uplift in your games and content creation would require a platform upgrade. Keep in mind any of those cards listed in your original post will be severely held back by the your existing processor when playing the latest triple A titles because that chip no longer meets minimum system requirement for many of them. Additionally you'll be wasting money on cards listed in the original post because you only have a 60hz monitor. So you now have two reasons not to upgrade to those graphics cards:
  1. You are limited by the refresh rate of your 1080p panel.
  2. Your processor will not allow those cards to be used to their full potential.
Money will be wasted because you can get the same performance output by going with a lower tier card (due to the cpu & monitor refresh rate limitation) and by the time you're ready for a platform upgrade, the graphics card will be inadequate for your future use case. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but i've built and upgraded a countless number of systems over the years and i'm coming from experience. What graphics card do you have now? If that card can give you a little over 60 fps in your current games and though it may take longer your content creation needs are being met, sit on this system for a little while longer. Then in the future, build another computer because your platform is not worth upgrading. If you aren't getting adequate performance in your games now, at the very least we can recommend a lower tier card that can give you 60+ fps in the games you currently play to tide you over. That way you aren't wasting your money on an outdated platform or a graphics card that will not be fully utilized.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019
Thank you so much for your time and suggestion. SgtScream. My current graphic is card is nothing, its gtx 650 1gb. What about if I buy a new 1660 Ti or rtx 2060 (super or non) and sell with the CPU, MB, RAM, with one HDD, Case, PSU (VS 550) later on to upgrade the whole platform? Will this be a good idea?

Thank you so much for your time and suggestion. SgtScream. My current graphic is card is nothing, its gtx 650 1gb. What about if I buy a new 1660 Ti or rtx 2060 (super or non) and sell with the CPU, MB, RAM, with one HDD, Case, PSU (VS 550) later on to upgrade the whole platform? Will this be a good idea?
Those cards will still be way overkill for that system and monitor, but I see your logic. The most graphics card I can recommend for that system would be something like a GTX 1060 6gb or a RX 580 8gb (Maybe stretch to a 1660 non TI) and even then you may run into scenarios where you're cpu bound, but thats ok because every system has a limitation based on the specific use cased presented. The key is to reasonably balance pair your hardware components. I guess it all depends on when you plan to pull the trigger on the platform upgrade.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019
:) I was just planning to add GTX 1060 6gb or a RX 580/590, anyway thanks and learned many things today from your suggestion. Then, let's discuss another thing. What if (IF) I can upgrade the CPU, RAM and MB, what will be your advise, sir?