[SOLVED] Graphic Card Missing in Device Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganymede-

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Hi,

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 1050TI 4GB card in my desktop and it’s always worked fine.

Two days ago when I started up my computer I found that Photoshop would crash every time I tried to open the program. This has never happened before and I tried a number of things but nothing worked.

I finally called Adobe and after 1.5 hours on the phone the rep determined that my graphics card was the problem bc under the Device Manager > Display Adapters > it showed my NVIDIA graphics card and the graphic card that comes w the motherboard.
Whenever the rep disabled the NVIDIA card driver and enabled the other card, Photoshop would launch perfectly.

While still on the phone, I updated the video card w the latest driver, but Photoshop still crashed. The rep disabled the NVIDIA card and enabled the other one and told me to contact tech support for NVIDIA. I agreed.

Let me add that during this phone call w Adobe my computer was restarted many times including after the tweaks in the Device Manager, though it was never completely shut down. I don’t think that makes a difference, but just in case.

This morning I turned on my PC and found that the NVDIA graphic card had completely disappeared from the Device Manager. It had been under the Display Adapters but only the motherboard’s graphic card showed up

I looked up “computer not recognizing graphics card” and one post said to delete all the video card drivers, anything from NVIDIA, and I did that. I hope that wasn’t a mistake?

By now I realized I was over my head and needed expert support from this forum that has always solved my problems.

I will add that I’m wondering if I should pull the video card out and if that will make a difference? I also noticed in the BIOS that graphic card is not recognized. Moreover, the fans on the video card aren’t moving, but that seems to make sense if the graphics card is not recognized.

Helpful advice anyone? Would much appreciate it.

Solution
Apparently, the gpu is sufficiently there for the motherboard to recognize it and switch to using discrete graphics for bios output.
But, the card is not sufficiently well enough to display output.
For now, remove the card, clear cmos and try again.

Be thankful that you still have integrated graphics to work with.

You can probably buy a GTX1050ti with 4gb of vram on ebay for about $200.
Or, a GTX750ti with 2gb for $100.

ganymede-

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I removed the CMOS waited s minute and placed it back in to the MB. I had to remove the graphics card to reach the CMOS.

I started the computer back up and now it will not even POST. So I again removed the graphics card to reach the CMOS and removed it and waited a short time. I decided that since I had the graphics card out, I would place it in the secondary slot for a graphic cards on my MB.

The computer will still not POST. I don’t know what to do next? Even if the graphics card failed wouldn’t the built-in Intel video chip allow me to still see the BIOS?

The Intel video chip allowed me to see the BIOS and Windows 10 fine w/o the graphics card appearing in the Device Manager.

What to do next?

Yeah, I was at Microcenter and apparently there is a run on all video cards. They didn’t have a single one in stock.

Thanks for feedback.

Apparently, the gpu is sufficiently there for the motherboard to recognize it and switch to using discrete graphics for bios output.
But, the card is not sufficiently well enough to display output.
For now, remove the card, clear cmos and try again.

Be thankful that you still have integrated graphics to work with.

You can probably buy a GTX1050ti with 4gb of vram on ebay for about $200.
Or, a GTX750ti with 2gb for $100.

Solution

ganymede-

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Ok. I remove the video card and reset the CMOS once again but didn’t reconnect my graphics card.

This time the computer did POST and I tweaked a couple settings in BIOS, then restarted and this time the operating system loaded. I can even open Photoshop.

I’m assuming this confirms that my graphics card is dead! I did check eBay and to my surprise they had a couple of the GeForce 550TI 4GB for about $219.00. That seems reasonable.

Or do u think I should up the video card memory? This card while working seem to handle everything I threw at it including a number of hi-res games, though the rep at MicroCenter said I should go to 6GB if I want to play Doom Internal. I’m not sure if I want to spend the extra money for a 6GB card, especially considering I hadn’t expected the graphics card to fail.

Any feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.