Graphic card not at full potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyce95

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
I have a Lenovo Y50 with the Maxwell version of GTX 860M. It is almost as powerful as a GTX 750 Ti for desktop so it should run games just fine. Especially GTA SA (yes, I have no other game to test at the moment and I often play SA:MP). The GPU, since it is as powerful as a 650 Ti and almost as a 750 Ti, should average over 100 fps even at full settings (as witnessed by few youtube videos and as I saw my friend run GTA SA MP at full HD using GT 740M averaging about 95 FPS.

Now to my case, I hardly reach over 80 FPS and average about 70 FPS with all settings set as max and AA turned on at 8x. I have no idea what could be causing it.

Things I have tried
-Reinstall a clean version of windows and reinstall drivers from Lenovo official except for NVIDIA AND Intel HD drivers from their respective websites.
-Install latest version of NVIDIA Driver and Intel HD driver.
-Run the laptop in high performance mode.
-Set frame limiter off in the game.
-Turn off Vsync.

I would like inputs on this, if there's any solution or anything.

Also, another problem while everyone is at it. When this problem happened, I tried turning on vsync and turning it off again from the NVIDIA Control panel to see if it changes anything. Now my FPS wont exceed 60 FPS.

Would be really nice if someone could help me (and) figure out what could be the problem here.

Thank you

Hi,

First off, GTA SA is an old game, you will have issues with new hardware.
You might want to reduce the AA and such to x2 == it caused artifacts on a 660 if set to anything higher.

Then FPS above 60 is more than enought. Anything above that is just eye candy barely noticeable

Now, if you activate vsync, it is normal that you get around 60 FPS, that's what it meant to do.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Vertical_sync_%28Vsync%29

TysonY2

Reputable
May 29, 2014
You have to take into account the performance of your cpu as well, often times laptop CPU's are at a much slower clock speed due to several factors, such as heat. What are your temps at while gaming? Your GPU could be throttling as well. But, with that being said, those frames are still pretty good. I would say your GPU is fine, and is limited to the fact that it is a laptop.

dyce95

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
The point of this topic is not to get eye candy or anything. It's simply to find out if there's anything wrong with my GPU

My friend has i5 4200U with GT 740M and still manages around 95 FPS and peaking at 110 fps a lot of the time while I barely hit 80.
Also, found a vid of the game running on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85n9LA4QaqQ

The same laptop runs Titan fall maxed out just fine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCq7P6Ovc98

@ Dextermat - I know what vsync does, but my question is that why it didn't really turn off when I turned it off from the NVidia Control panel and continued to cap my fps to 60 fps.

@TysonY2 - my cpu is a i5 4200H, faster than a i5 4200U and still managing to play tital fall maxed out with smooth enough FPS. Why wouldn't it manage to play a 10 year old game at 110+ FPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.