graphic card not running could it be dead?

Sep 2, 2018
Hi I have a system that is about an year old.
One day I was just playing a game
and screen just went off. I thought it was the monitor but it wasnt.
I looked at the graphic card and the fans werent running and light was off.
So I tried connecting monitor to onboard and it showed me the screen. I am wondering if my graphic card is dead or the graphic card slot is dead.

Thank you

Solution
If you've an old working gpu laying around that works in your slot type, swap cards and if it swapped card works, then it's your card. If you don't have one laying around, grab a $30 one from your local vendor for the slot type you have and give that a try.

That's really the only reliable way you have to rule out the slot. If the slot works on one card but not the other, then everything up to the card is good. If neither card work, but you know the swapped in card is good (ie, you just bought it), then the problem is before the card (slot, motherboard controller, blown capacitor on the mobo, power supply, etc) and not the card.
Sep 2, 2018
If you've an old working gpu laying around that works in your slot type, swap cards and if it swapped card works, then it's your card. If you don't have one laying around, grab a $30 one from your local vendor for the slot type you have and give that a try.

That's really the only reliable way you have to rule out the slot. If the slot works on one card but not the other, then everything up to the card is good. If neither card work, but you know the swapped in card is good (ie, you just bought it), then the problem is before the card (slot, motherboard controller, blown capacitor on the mobo, power supply, etc) and not the card.

Solution

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
there is a number of things it can be the slot is one of them bubbabriggs has the right idea on how to test the slot.
It most likely will be the power supply PCIE leads are dead you will need to do a proses of deduction

TRENDING THREADS