Graphic card or psu problem

helloshayan

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Hello ALL, i recently bought a used graphic card. and when i ran the stability test, my psu starts making a high pitched sound. and the graphic card stability test (furmark) crashes as the screen starts to flicker and artifects show.
I used to run a hd 5970 which worked fine, i sold it and downgraded to powercolor hd 5870. but now my psu is making the high pitch noise and screen artifects. My psu is corsair tx850w.

What do you guys think? problem in my gpu or psu?

*my gpu plays small games fine, just when i fully use the card it starts to make artifects after a while and my psu starts making high pitch noise. Is it the caps on my psu going bad?

Please help, as if the problem is with gpu, i can return it within next 3 days

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
It sound like a PSU problem. When you start playing demanding games the noise starts. Do the same but with a different PSU in the case and see if it helps.

You went from a card that AMD recommends 600 watt PSU to a card that only requires 500 watts from the PSU. I would say that there is something wrong with the 'new' card that it's drawing so much extra power that the 850 watt PSU is going into distress.

jeepster50

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Or simply the PSU is failing. How old is it & you might want take cover off to clean out dust build-up(it's over heating-fan might need replacing).

helloshayan

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

Hey, Its not overheating, only 1 year old. I did take out and clean inside. fan working fine. It seems like a cap problem which is making a high pitch sound under stress.

other then that crash every thing else is working fine. I wonder will corsair accept this as a faulty psu.
should i get it RMA'ed?