adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
I have been having a very strange problem with my GTX Palit 660. The first time I run either Rocket League or Fortnite (the only games I play) my graphic card temperatures will shoot up, to the point of over 100c and then the monitor will turn black, the graphic card fans will start spinning really loud and the whole system crashes.

What is strange about this problem, is that this only happens the first time I run the games after my computer has been turned off for numerous hours. Once the computer has rebooted after the crash and I launch the games, the temperatures stay very consistent and rarely go over 65c. Even after playing for a couple of hours.

What I have done to try to fix it :
  • Cleaned the card with compressed air
  • Tried a different PCI slot
  • Updated Windows 10
  • Updated the graphic card drivers
Later today I'm going to try completely uninstalling the drivers and might try reinstalling Windows 10.

If anybody has any idea what the problem could be or how to fix it, I'd very much appreciate some suggestions. Perhaps the graphic card is faulty. I have had it for many years.

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you for your reply. The card is definitely overheating. Don't believe it's a sensor problem. I touched it the other day after my computer crashed and it was extremely hot. Couldn't hold the mainboard longer than a couple of seconds. Had to use the heatsink.

Earlier this morning I removed all the drivers with DDU and reinstalled them. I will be testing it later today to see if it has helped. I'll post on here.

It could be the fans. I will try to monitor them a little closer and see what RPM they're using.

I will also try screwing the screws tighter.

Alright if you haven’t try to re paste your GPU with thermal paste if you haven’t and screw down them down evenly so that the paste can spread around the chip.

if you use...

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
It could be that the heatsink isn't making proper contact with the chip so make sure to screw it down evenly and tight. Try to feel your card when gaming to see if it's actually hot cause if it isn't then it could be a faulty sensor.

As you said try to use DDU and install the latest drivers again, if none of this work then maybe the card, or the fan is failing.

adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
It could be that the heatsink isn't making proper contact with the chip so make sure to screw it down evenly and tight. Try to feel your card when gaming to see if it's actually hot cause if it isn't then it could be a faulty sensor.

As you said try to use DDU and install the latest drivers again if none of this work then maybe the card, or the fan is failing.

Thank you for your reply. The card is definitely overheating. Don't believe it's a sensor problem. I touched it the other day after my computer crashed and it was extremely hot. Couldn't hold the mainboard longer than a couple of seconds. Had to use the heatsink.

Earlier this morning I removed all the drivers with DDU and reinstalled them. I will be testing it later today to see if it has helped. I'll post on here.

It could be the fans. I will try to monitor them a little closer and see what RPM they're using.

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018

Alright if you haven’t try to re paste your GPU with thermal paste if you haven’t and screw down them down evenly so that the paste can spread around the chip.

if you use MSI afterburner make sure your fan is set A or as in “Auto” you could’ve made a mistake by setting it to a certain fan speed that could’ve made your card overheat.

Solution
I have been having a very strange problem with my GTX Palit 660. The first time I run either Rocket League or Fortnite (the only games I play) my graphic card temperatures will shoot up, to the point of over 100c and then the monitor will turn black, the graphic card fans will start spinning really loud and the whole system crashes.

What is strange about this problem, is that this only happens the first time I run the games after my computer has been turned off for numerous hours. Once the computer has rebooted after the crash and I launch the games, the temperatures stay very consistent and rarely go over 65c. Even after playing for a couple of hours.

What I have done to try to fix it :
  • Cleaned the card with compressed air
  • Tried a different PCI slot
  • Updated Windows 10
  • Updated the graphic card drivers
Later today I'm going to try completely uninstalling the drivers and might try reinstalling Windows 10.

If anybody has any idea what the problem could be or how to fix it, I'd very much appreciate some suggestions. Perhaps the graphic card is faulty. I have had it for many years.
I do believe it is a faulty fan/card that when it powers down does not work properly but "wakes up" after a reboot. if you set a custom fan curve might make it "wake up" sooner, on the first try, but, eventually that will fail as well.

adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
I do believe it is a faulty fan/card that when it powers down does not work properly but "wakes up" after a reboot. if you set a custom fan curve might make it "wake up" sooner, on the first try, but, eventually that will fail as well.

I think you're spot on with that answer. I booted up my computer today and opened the case to look at the gpu fans, and they weren't spinning at all. Despite MSI Afterburner telling me they were. The fans were trying to spin and were making a noise that sounded like they were trying.

I'm going to try a custom fan curve to see if I can get the fans spinning without a reboot.

If that doesn't work I'll be looking online for a replacement fan. Would a replacement fan fix it or is it likely to be a more serious problem with the card?

Thanks for your help okjak808 and dotas1.

Last edited:
It's hard to say if it's fan issue. It does seem so now that you said that you can hear them trying to spin.
If it's not expensive and if you can do it yourself, you can replace them but since it's an old card I wouldn't spend more than 10$ on it. Even that it's not money well spent as they can be saved towards a new GPU but if you don't mind, sure go ahead.

adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you @dotas1 and @okjak808 your help. I thought I would update you.

I fixed the fan problem by replacing the thermal paste and the stock graphic card fan.

I ended up zip tieing an 80mm case fan to the card. Although not perfect, it works. I get around 75c - 80c while playing Fortnite. A little on the warm side but no more overheating problems :)

View: https://imgur.com/a/zSwtWP7

Reactions: dotas1