[SOLVED] graphic card performance with PCIEX16 slot vs PCIEX4?

galaxymark1994

Honorable
Apr 22, 2016
I know that if you're using just 1 video card,you're supposed to be using x16 , but in my case, I'm using Gigabyte B250M Gaming 5 and the SATA port 1 and 2 are interfering with the videocard that is more than 220mm in length. so I'm wondering if it's a big deal to use the PCIEx4 instead for GTX 1060 when it comes to performance?

I never tried it yet since I'm using Micro ATX case but the GTX 1060 is currently using on PCIEx16 but not fully inserted due to the height of SATA port1and 2,planning to upgrade to ATX case, don't have any plans upgrading my motherboard yet.and I'm not sure spending $50 for vertical mount GPU is worth it.

my system specs:
i5-7500
B250M Gaming 5
4x4GB 2400Mhz
GTX 1060 6GB
600W 80+ Bronze

I tried checking other sites for answers but i can't get a solid details. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Actually, x4 might not be all that worse either, you can check out the difference in various games in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu2G9MaXe3c

Now, granted the numbers in the video should be taken with a grain of salt, I still think in most games the difference will not be anything that makes the game unplayable - if you get 57 FPS average instead of 60, I don't think the game will suddenly become unplayable. So, until you upgrade to ATX, I think using the x4 slot wouldn't be that bad. I still find it hard to believe that they did such a mistake though - I mean, they never tested a GPU longer than the board and found out this design flaw? Sounds weird to me.
Have you tried to install the GPU in the first slot, and are sure that the SATA port is actually interfering with the card? Because that would be quite a mistake by Gigabyte, they're supposed to design board such that GPU's much longer than the motherboard can be installed on them. Try the first slot first, see if they GPU is actually touching the SATA port or not.

galaxymark1994

Honorable
Apr 22, 2016
Have you tried to install the GPU in the first slot, and are sure that the SATA port is actually interfering with the card? Because that would be quite a mistake by Gigabyte, they're supposed to design board such that GPU's much longer than the motherboard can be installed on them. Try the first slot first, see if they GPU is actually touching the SATA port or not.

it's currently inserted on the first slot right now, yes i'm sure of it, I even tried to remove the motherboard from the case and insert the videocard and that stacked sata port1 and 2 interfere with the videocard board and not on the videocard case. my only problem is the PCIEx16 is really not holding the card since it's not locked so my system unit is laying down instead of standing up to avoid videocard from dropping. I'll post a photo of it later when i got home.

Actually, x4 might not be all that worse either, you can check out the difference in various games in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu2G9MaXe3c

Now, granted the numbers in the video should be taken with a grain of salt, I still think in most games the difference will not be anything that makes the game unplayable - if you get 57 FPS average instead of 60, I don't think the game will suddenly become unplayable. So, until you upgrade to ATX, I think using the x4 slot wouldn't be that bad. I still find it hard to believe that they did such a mistake though - I mean, they never tested a GPU longer than the board and found out this design flaw? Sounds weird to me.

Solution

galaxymark1994

Honorable
Apr 22, 2016
I mean, they never tested a GPU longer than the board and found out this design flaw? Sounds weird to me.
Honestly, I really didn't notice until I got this new GTX 1060 which was gifted to me last week. I'm using the low profile GTX 1050 Ti before that's why It doesn't seem to be a problem before.

thank you for your help by the way. I guess upgrading to ATX board is my best option maybe 2 months from now.