[SOLVED] Graphic card recommendation

Apr 3, 2021
So my GPU appears to have been fried (bsod tdr failure and artifacts). Please can someone advise on a new GPU. I'm in the UK and looking second hand and wanting to keep costs low but a small upgrade on what I have would be nice. My knowledge is poor but want a GPU that is compatible with what I have, see below:

AMD R9 380 4GB (dead)

ASUS A88XM-Plus FM2+

AMD ATHLON X4 860K 3.7Ghz

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz - CRUCIAL Ballistix x2

1TB SEAGATE SSHD - SATA3, 7200 RPM 6Gb/s + 64MB Cache

500W PSU - FSP 80+ BRONZE

Many thanks in advance...

Solution
Ok, so if you're planning to run at 1080p, you don't need an extremely capable card but getting something at LEAST at RX 580 performance levels, or slightly better, will probably be a good fit with that CPU although you'll still likely be a bit CPU limited because it's simply a rather weak CPU, even when it was new, much less now. But it can obviously work and truthfully if you're not playing games with the frame rates are a big concern for you, you may be able to simply play with higher settings and for a lot of games that might reduce much of the load off the CPU but may also result in a lowering of frame rates so knowing the refresh rate of your tv or monitor would also be helpful, and whether it has any kind of sync technology built in.
I wouldn't spend too much on a card, keep it real with a mid to lower end graphics card, because that 860k is going to choke the performance of any higher end card.

Something like a 1650, 1660 or 1660 ti, RX 580/590 maybe. I don't know what's available to you used. What resolution is the monitor you're going to be gaming on?

Reactions: Mr_superlegend
Apr 3, 2021
Thank you. My knowledge gap is where the bottleneck will be is so this is really helpful. I need to start looking at what's available but this looks like a really good starting point.

It's a living room set up and I've just brought a LG CX OLED (I do wonder whether I've broken the GPU overdoing it with this tv). I plan on getting a ps5 later in the year but still want the pc for some gaming but not necessarily the top end of stuff.

Ok, so if you're planning to run at 1080p, you don't need an extremely capable card but getting something at LEAST at RX 580 performance levels, or slightly better, will probably be a good fit with that CPU although you'll still likely be a bit CPU limited because it's simply a rather weak CPU, even when it was new, much less now. But it can obviously work and truthfully if you're not playing games with the frame rates are a big concern for you, you may be able to simply play with higher settings and for a lot of games that might reduce much of the load off the CPU but may also result in a lowering of frame rates so knowing the refresh rate of your tv or monitor would also be helpful, and whether it has any kind of sync technology built in.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Do be careful if you're using this as a general PC. OLEDs are wonderful, but the burn-in which can be avoided on TV because of the varied content is harder to avoid in a Windows PC. And the damage is from cumulative use, not consecutive use. Generally speaking, you want to have the taskbar on auto-hide, hide desktop icons, and preferably black wallpaper.

So my GPU appears to have been fried (bsod tdr failure and artifacts). Please can someone advise on a new GPU. I'm in the UK and looking second hand and wanting to keep costs low but a small upgrade on what I have would be nice. My knowledge is poor but want a GPU that is compatible with what I have, see below:

AMD R9 380 4GB (dead)

ASUS A88XM-Plus FM2+

AMD ATHLON X4 860K 3.7Ghz

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz - CRUCIAL Ballistix x2

1TB SEAGATE SSHD - SATA3, 7200 RPM 6Gb/s + 64MB Cache

500W PSU - FSP 80+ BRONZE

Many thanks in advance...
Seeing as you can't seem to buy a GPU in the UK and you have such an outdated system, consider buying a new prebuilt system.

When you say costs low how low do you mean exactly??

I have a couple of barely used gtx 970's knocking around here but looking at £100 mark+ postage costs (which considering the current situation is actually very cheap).
The reason they're still here is quite simply that I will not do Ebay anymore after being constantly ripped off (it's full of crooks nowadays when it comes to pc components)

InvalidError

Titan
I agree with Flayed, probably better off upgrading the system than finding a new GPU for your current one.

In the current market, that is the only way to get a decent price for a new-ish GPU. Even the used market for anything decent is ridiculously priced at ~100% over the old used parts' original MSRP.

Apr 3, 2021
It really is the worst time for the GPU to have died. As I mentioned above I plan on buying a ps5 later in the year so really I want to just get back up and running with what I have. A small upgrade on the GPU would be good but I'd like to stay below the £200 mark, I obviously know I won't manage to get an equivalent pre built for that price. I'm nervous of using eBay for second hand parts and will see if I can source something locally initially. However if anyone can recommend somewhere in the UK where you can get refurbished/second hand cards of this level that would be mega helpful.

It really is the worst time for the GPU to have died. As I mentioned above I plan on buying a ps5 later in the year so really I want to just get back up and running with what I have. A small upgrade on the GPU would be good but I'd like to stay below the £200 mark, I obviously know I won't manage to get an equivalent pre built for that price. I'm nervous of using eBay for second hand parts and will see if I can source something locally initially. However if anyone can recommend somewhere in the UK where you can get refurbished/second hand cards of this level that would be mega helpful.
Sounds like your best bet by far is to take madmatt30 up on his offer of a 970

LG OLED tv is a very good unit for gaming and as a monitor.
I use one.
The unit does not support displayport.
It will use hdmi 2.1 that will support 120hz refresh rate.
Unfortunately to get >60hz, two other requirements must be met.
You need a ultra high speed hdmi cable capable of 48hz.
You also need a graphics card with hdmi 2.1 output capability.
I think the only such are the nvidia 3000 series.
hdmi 2.0 will allow 60hz.

With a 500w psu, you have a number of graphics card choices.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Good luck in finding anything good at a decent price.
But, if you can find a good card, you can carry it forward to a new build.

Your processor is quite weak and will be the limiting factor in many games.
No telling how much it will limit you if you do not have the means to test.
If you favor fast action games, you are likely more graphics limited.
If you favor strategy,sims, or mmo type games, that is where the cpu limitation will show up.

You may find Tom's GPU hierarchy chart useful:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
Your R9-380 is somewhat equivalent to GTX1050ti on the chart.

Apr 3, 2021
Thank you everyone this has been so helpful. I've messaged Matt about buying one of his GTX 970s. If that doesn't work out I'll take a punt on eBay but at least I have some more knowledge. I vaguely remember using this forum before and it was helpful then and here it is being invaluable again. You guys are a credit to the internet!

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
Thank you everyone this has been so helpful. I've messaged Matt about buying one of his GTX 970s. If that doesn't work out I'll take a punt on eBay but at least I have some more knowledge. I vaguely remember using this forum before and it was helpful then and here it is being invaluable again. You guys are a credit to the internet!
the 970 is a decent card, definitely way more than enough for your system. it compares to the rx 5/470 and 1060.

I'll post here and pm you shortly mate just to make it public without going through the buy/sell thread (hopefully allowed by the mods ok).

Model is Asus 970 turbo, insured courier is £5.90 I think so would be £100+ that total.

Card is single 8 Pin and is quite long 10.5inch x 4.8 inch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GTX970-OC-4GD5-NVIDIA-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00WHJEK1M

Cards were used in sli for about 4 months max (bought around December 2016), been in a box since then so to all intents and purposes it is like new.

I'll pm you with details and leave it with you to decide.

Apr 3, 2021
Just wanted to report back on this thread. I contacted @madmatt30 and we organised the sale of one of his GTX 970s. After a bit of a delay with yodel I've received it and my PC is back up and running and is also much improved.

Thank you all for your guidance and obviously a big thank you and shout out to the Matt for both taking the plunge with selling to a stranger and generally being a decent and helpful guy.

Last edited:
Just wanted to report back on this thread. I contacted @madmatt30 and we organised the sale of one of his GTX 970s. After a bit of a delay with yodel I've received it and my PC is back up and running and is also much improved.

Thank you all for your guidance and obviously a big thank you and shout out to the Matt for both taking the plunge with selling to a stranger and generally being a decent and helpful guy.

No worries mate, glad we got there in the end.

You got a bargain, I'm happy at selling the card to someone in need for a 'reasonable' price.

Done my bit to not feed the ridiculous scalping practice that's crippling pc gamers at the minute.

When I see people on other threads having to pay $250+ on gtx 1050ti's and the like it honestly boils my blood.