Graphic Card running extremely hot

BirdBoy146

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Hi guys, my MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4GB is running extremely hot when gaming. When I am just browsing the internet the card reaches temps of 65 degrees. When I start playing Fortnite or The Witcher 3 my card is reaching temps of 95 degrees celsius, which of course is redicoulsly high. I recently blown out all the dust so that is not the problem. I live in the Netherlands and the current temprature is 24 degrees celsius so that should not be the problem. The other temps stay quite normal, I already tried turning up the fan speed of the videocard but it didn't really have an effect. An image of my tempratures:
https://imgur.com/AbMFsEM"
Thanks in advance!

Solution

It won't harm anything having a fan blowing on an open case if that's what your asking. It's just a test. A large table top fan would work as well. You're just checking if a constant supply of cool air will help.

As was mentioned by Motemas. Check all fans on the GPU are spinning.

If nothing works to drop the...
Have you turned up the case fans?

If case ventillation is poor. It doesn't matter how fast the GPU fans spin. When they are recirculating hot air.

Try placing the case on your desk. Opening the side panel. Then have a floor standing fan directly blow air on the opening at full power. That should keep it well supplied. If temps drop under load. With that much cool air. Then you know you need to improve your case's cooling.

Check GPU load while idle in windows. If load is high while you’re otherwise doing nothing, then some unknown software is using your gpu and you have to find out what it is. If the gpu isn’t loaded, but it’s still hot, you could have low airflow as the other person said, or other hardware problem like a loose cooler or dead gpu fan (Download gpuz to check gpu load, fan speed, etc).

BirdBoy146

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

So I just set all case fans to 100%, it hardly changes the temprature and the temprature is still 60 degrees when idling. I don't have a standing fan unfortunately might have to get that, but it is not very nice to have a fan blowing at full power 50 centimeters away at my open case right? I have had this case for 5 years and I have never had any troublesw with the temprature, maybe I should improve airflow of the case?

BirdBoy146

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

All right I will check that right now thank you!

It won't harm anything having a fan blowing on an open case if that's what your asking. It's just a test. A large table top fan would work as well. You're just checking if a constant supply of cool air will help.

As was mentioned by Motemas. Check all fans on the GPU are spinning.

If nothing works to drop the temp. All I could suggest is to get some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Then reapply the thermal paste. Check online for instructions on cleaning and application. There is plenty of info on applying thermal paste.

Solution