Jul 18, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I have recently assembled a new pc. Following are my config: -

intel i5 2400 3.1 ghz
intel dh61ww mobo
corsair xms3 ddr3 4 gb RAM
Cooler Master 500w psu
Galaxy GTS 450 GC gpu

I am new to gaming, and had issues while playing games as the pc use to get hang when playing. I had noticed that my fan was not increasing the speed when the temp use to rise and therefore I had increased the fan speed manually by also doing some changes in the registry. But still i find that my temp reaches 80 degrees and above. I am using a software called Xtreme Tuner HD which i downloaded from the manufacturers site (galaxy), from which i increased the fan speed. In this software the following details are mentioned which i can modify except Memory Voltage: -

Memory Voltage - Not Displayed
Core Frequency - 825 Mhz
Shader Processor Frequency - 1650 Mhz
Memory Frequency - 1848 Mhz
Fan Speed - 75%
Core Voltage - 1050 mV

The concern is even after increasing the fan speed the temp reaches 80 degrees and plus, i have not tried playing for long - once the temp reaches 80 degrees i stop playing. Also while playing civilization 5 at 1366*768 resolution (59hz) the game shuts down after 10 or 15 min of play. Following are my questions:

- I wanted to know if by reducing my clock speed, will i be able to reduce the temperature?
- Why does the game shuts down at 1366*768 resolution?
- And also if i want to overclock my gpu do i need to do any changes with the clock speed of cpu (as i dont want to temper with my cpu clock speed)?
- And is it ok if the software is not showing my memory voltage? Does it mean my gpu has some problem or do i need to crack the bios to display/modify the memory voltage?

PS:

Graphic Card Specs: -
CUDA Cores - 192
Graphics Clock (Mhz) - 825
Processor Clock (Mhz) - 1650
Memory Clock (Mhz) - 1848
Memory Amount - 1Gb GDDR5
Memory Interface - 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) - 59.1
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) - 26.4

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

The graphics card is rated for 100°C so reaching 80 is not a problem.
However, if as you say, you easily hit 80°C and above while playing, you might have less than efficient airflow in your case.
Check this roundup of a bunch of GTS 450 cards to see temperatures on different cards.

Yes, reducing the work it is able to do should reduce heat, if you have proper airflow, if you do not, heat will still continue to build up and might be the reason why your PC hangs.
Another reason might be that you are not running the memory at its specified latency and voltage, please adjust settings if you have not set this.

Overclocking the GPU is not tied to the CPU, so you can adjust it to your likings, however, with the GPU already reaching high temps in a short time, you need to get that sorted first before you try any overclocking of it.

Yes, not showing the memory voltage is normal.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Apparently I am not allowed to edit my own post, so have to make this double post.

When saying you may not have set the correct latency and voltage I meant for your Corsair memory.

asimov

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

Thank You... the post was very informative...

-can you let me know how i can check/modify the ram settings? is there a software to do so or can i do it through my mobo bios? (my mobo is from the classic series of intel, doubt if it would have the option to modify the RAM)

-wanted to know how low can i reduce my frequency for everything to be stable and at which i can play games like civilization 5 and battlefield2? can you suggest something by looking at my frequency details above or is there some way to know what frequency would be best?

-my clock voltage is at 1050 mV... is it normal or is it too high? as it anything to do with power supply, as i only have 500w psu - 1050 mv if it is the power consumption than it really looks big to me compared to the psu i have?

Please share your suggestion about above query.

G

Hey there,

Sorry for not being able to reply on the voltage/RAM freq issue, because I didn't try that before..
Anyway, looking at your system, I can tell you should have no power/temp issues with it..

I'm currently running a I5-750/MSI-CD53/4G DDR3 @1333/MSI 6950 2G, and my card easily reaches 88 to 90 degrees when I max out all settings, and I keep playing for 04 hours sometimes and didn't have the said problems before..

So yes, you shouldn't be much concerned about the temp issue.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

To change settings for you ram you have to enter BIOS and either use XMP profile for your ram or enter the correct settings yourself (usually found on a sticker on the side of the memory).
Download HWMonitor from CPUID to see what settings you are currently running.

The stock settings of a GTS 450 are Graphics Clock (MHz) 783 MHz, Processor Clock (MHz) 1566 MHz and Core Voltage 0.962V, so you can try those. If this makes the system stable, you might consider RMAing the card.

The reason your voltage is set to 1.050V is because it is an overclocked card. The reference cards run with a voltage of 0.962V.
The recommended PSU for a GTS 450 is 400W, so if what you have is anywhere near a decent brand, you should have no issues in that regard, though there are of course always duds.

asimov

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Hey there,

Sorry for not being able to reply on the voltage/RAM freq issue, because I didn't try that before..
Anyway, looking at your system, I can tell you should have no power/temp issues with it..

I'm currently running a I5-750/MSI-CD53/4G DDR3 @1333/MSI 6950 2G, and my card easily reaches 88 to 90 degrees when I max out all settings, and I keep playing for 04 hours sometimes and didn't have the said problems before..

So yes, you shouldn't be much concerned about the temp issue.

The problem in my pc with gaming is that my screen just goes blank within half an hour or 40 minutes of gameplay... The only thing i could think about after doing all the hardware checks is that there is an issue with graphic card settings because temp used to go high and still there never use to be any changes in the fan speed... it looks to me like my gpu is getting more heated up due to which i am getting blank screens while gaming... and i am not able to run games at a higher resolution also again blank screen problem within 15 min of gameplay...

asimov

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

Thanks ... As suggested i had clocked the card accordingly: -

Core Frequency - To 783 Mhz from 825 Mhz
Shader Processor Frequency - To 1566 Mhz from 1650 Mhz
Memory Frequency - 1848 Mhz
Fan Speed - 75% - 65%
Core Voltage - To 962 mV from 1050 mV

Runs peacefully now but i have not changed the Memory Frequency... Should i change the memory frequency as well? How low can i change the memory frequency?

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Good to hear that it is behaving as it should.

A reference GTS 450 runs the memory clock at 1804 MHz, so you might want to set this if you still see unstability.

If the system after these changes are fully stable, you might want to consider RMAing the card as it obviously is not stable with the overclocking done by the manufacturer.

asimov

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

Hi,

As you had told, i had replaced my card and got a new one. But still the problem persists. Now i am not able to log-in at the start-up. I tried the trial and run error by unchecking the services one after another to see which service is making problem. I had found that service named 'Desktop Window Manager Session'. Once i switch off this service in the safe mod, the computer logs in normally but i am not able to play videos or games. I have formatted the computer again but still the problem doesn't go. Any suggestions?

karthikalexpandian

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
i have a sparkle gts 450 1 GB i love to play the sims 3;

but the bottleneck seems to be intel dual core 2.5 GHZ

i am using nvidia inspector -

will

http://pcformat.techradar.com/article/how-overclock-gts-450-13-10-10

this help ?.

for reference purposes check these

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=195388

i am sorry to say the inspector's(nvidia)

performance 1 and 2 crashes my sims to the desktop !.

i am not rich enough to get another card i am

living in a asus p5n73am with 4 gb ddr2 ram

i thank you for the patience to read my issues