GRAPHIC CARD SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!

netmessiah

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
Ok I'm looking for suggestions on what card to buy for my dad's Compaq Presario 6000. I'm looking at a Geforce4 MX 440. Probly Gainward or MSI since I have had good expirences with that Maker before. Does anyone have any good suggestions for video cards that are under $70?

Thanks

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.fticomputer.com/cgis/list.cgi?ses=653e3145f4a315973cd57e1b1f9ffef2&cat=VB" target="_new">Clickable version</A>

Damn Rambus.

Stay away from the GF4MX for gaming. I was browsing new game titles (focusing on DeusE:IW personally), and many of them mention minimum requirements being a GF3 or above and an R8500 or above, and then go on with (Geforce4MX not supported).

Now questions that I guess I should have asked first....
<b>'What is this card/computer going to be used for? Why are you buying an new card?'</b>

If it's gaming then take the above advice, otherwise we may need to reconsider our suggestions (a GF2MX, R7500, Or Matrox G200 might be good enough/better suited, and might save you money).

Just making sure, since we usually assume gaming performance, but maybe that's not what you are looking for.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

netmessiah

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions all. He current has a onboard card that really sucks. We just need a card that will let him play most games decently. I dont wanna spend $400 on him :p. I just need something that will last him awhile so he wont be forced to go out and buy a new card in 6 months.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The Ti4200 is probably what you're looking for then.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Watch it man, people who don't know probably would think you're serious. :lol:

Definitely a Geforce4ti4200 (64mb or 128) would be best IMO.

See, I recommend nVidias. :wink:

But then again, maybe you could sell him your R9600Pro. :tongue:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

cleeve

Illustrious
Ti4200 64MB's are great for the price!

Also great (for the price) is the Radeon 9600SE if you can pick it up for $85 or so.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I'm ordering myself the cheapest 64mb 4200 on pricewatch. Either the MSI or the Gainward for $80 shipped is good.
I'd prob go for the Gainward, looks nicer (has the red PCB and better cooling)... plus I cant find any information on that MSI model.
The "T64" bugs me at the end of the model number.
IIRC some TNT cards being "64" or something to that regard that were budget models.
I dont think its agp 8x like they say it is either. The gainward isnt either.. I just dont like the shop that is selling the MSI.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>