Question Graphic card tests

Feb 8, 2019
Hello.
Someone asked me to check if a graphic card is a good to buy, and i can test it for like 5 mins so i've been wondering what kind of tests I should be doing.
Am thinking about running the gpu-z yo know if the graphic card is genuine.
I heard about '' Realtemp'' in order to check if it overheats but i want to know if 5 mins of gaming for example would be enough to test for overheating.
Is there any other apps, things you would recommend me to check ? Also is there a way i could know if it was used for mining?
Thank you

cdrkf

Honorable
Hello.
Someone asked me to check if a graphic card is a good to buy, and i can test it for like 5 mins so i've been wondering what kind of tests I should be doing.
Am thinking about running the gpu-z yo know if the graphic card is genuine.
I heard about '' Realtemp'' in order to check if it overheats but i want to know if 5 mins of gaming for example would be enough to test for overheating.
Is there any other apps, things you would recommend me to check ? Also is there a way i could know if it was used for mining?
Thank you
I can't think of a way to tell if it's been used for mining- actually ex mining cards needn't be an issue provided it was cooled properly (just mean it has had heavy use). Really you need to run a stress test on it, a 3D benchmark would be good to put it under a serious load, maybe look at the Unigine benchmakrs as they are free:
https://benchmark.unigine.com/

Feb 8, 2019
I can't think of a way to tell if it's been used for mining- actually ex mining cards needn't be an issue provided it was cooled properly (just mean it has had heavy use). Really you need to run a stress test on it, a 3D benchmark would be good to put it under a serious load, maybe look at the Unigine benchmakrs as they are free:
https://benchmark.unigine.com/
Thanks for your answer. Well is there any chance it would harm the gpu? Or maybe another component if the psu is lower than its supposed to be?
Also will i like get a result window at the end or it just depends on if it crashes or not

Last edited:

cdrkf

Honorable
Thanks for your answer. Well is there any chance it would harm the gpu? Or maybe another component if the psu is lower than its supposed to be?
Also will i like get a result window at the end or it just depends on if it crashes or not
Well Unigine is essentially a game engine, so it's a representative workload rather than a stress test, so risk of running it isn't really any worse than loading a modern game. Typically if the PSU isn't up to it the gpu won't get enough juice and would crash out (although if it's a really bad PSU it could fail which would be bad).

The unigine benchmarks do give you results at the end, so you can compare the results against a database online- that is a good way to tell if your card is performing in the expected range or not.

hang-the-9

Titan
If you are going to be trying this card in a system with a bad power supply or one without enough power, don't.

ASK THE COMMUNITY