Graphic Card Upgrade (ati gpu will work on nvidia chipset)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atanasov Goran

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Hi My name is Goran
I want to upgrade my graphic card, because mine doen't support DirectX 11 :(

My System:

CPU: AMD Phenom Q9950 2.60GHz
CPU Cooler: Coolers Master V8
Mobo: ASUS P4N82 Deluxe(latest BIOS)
Chipset: nVidia 980a
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz
Graphic Card: 2x Gigabyte 9800GT 1GB GDDR3 (GV-N96TSL-512I)
HDD: 2x WD Caviar Green 500GB (raid 0)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850Watt

I am between:
ASUS ENGTS450 1GB
ASUS ENGTX560TI 1GB
ASUS EAH6850 1GB
ASUS EAH6870 1GB
ASUS EAH6950 1GB

what do you think?

also, will ati work on nvidia chipset?

Note: They are all asus because only asus gpu are compatible with asus EPU.

Solution
Uhm... To match 2 9800GT's in SLI in things that are not DX11 (like WoW, UT3 engine games and XBox ports, mostly) you're very limited with a single slot option... I mean, to consider it a worthy update on your current platform. Basically, having Direct X 11 for gaming alone doesn't justify changing 2 9800GT's yet IMO.

To be honest, focus first on the CPU (like 4745454b said); maybe get a PhII X4 955 C3 stepping and run it at ~3.9Ghz or directly get a PhII X6 (Thuban) if your MoBo supports it. That will give you a few extra FPS's with DX9c (most games anyway).

Unless, that is, that you're also looking for other new features... UVD3, HDMI 1.4 support, Sorround or Eyefinity, etc; or the specialized new DX11 features: tessellation, SM5.0...
Uhm... To match 2 9800GT's in SLI in things that are not DX11 (like WoW, UT3 engine games and XBox ports, mostly) you're very limited with a single slot option... I mean, to consider it a worthy update on your current platform. Basically, having Direct X 11 for gaming alone doesn't justify changing 2 9800GT's yet IMO.

To be honest, focus first on the CPU (like 4745454b said); maybe get a PhII X4 955 C3 stepping and run it at ~3.9Ghz or directly get a PhII X6 (Thuban) if your MoBo supports it. That will give you a few extra FPS's with DX9c (most games anyway).

Unless, that is, that you're also looking for other new features... UVD3, HDMI 1.4 support, Sorround or Eyefinity, etc; or the specialized new DX11 features: tessellation, SM5.0 and DC (the multi threaded capabilities are also supported in DX9c - DX10.1). In that scenario, a 6950 would be the best Price/Performance video card for your system IMO. It would be a worthy upgrade from 2 9800GTs and perform a lot better (or give enough extra FPSs to justify it).

Cheers!

Solution

Atanasov Goran

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

This is my motherboards official page with full specs... could you tell me which CPU is better,
6-qore and quad-core cpu to choose one of them, depends from the money that i will have...

I don't know from AMD CPU's and which family is better, i was using intel all the time, and I change it just to try, when i was building this computer....

Embra

Distinguished

I second that recommendation. ;)

Atanasov Goran

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
thank's for your recomandations, i think that i will get the 1090T, i won't overclock it anyway...
and about the gpu, i think that i will upgrade it after 2 weeks, when i will got the money to do so, recomandations?
I am looking for asus graphic cards, because only asus gpu's are supported from Asus EPU...
i am between

ASUS ENGTX560TI 1GB
ASUS EAH6950 1GB

probably i will go nVidia, but what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.