[SOLVED] Graphic card upgrade to 2080 Ti - What do I need?

Dec 5, 2019
Hello guys! I'm new here so if I make a mistake just ask and I'll change the post. I'm a little old now but a few years ago I was pretty proficient with PCs and PC parts (at least so I could build my PC) so I thought I can do this upgrade easily. Then I found out that it's actually tricky to change to a top of the line graphic card and that after a lot of time out of the tech waters I really have no idea what I'm doing so please help...
My question is: I have a PC about 4 years old and it was pretty amazing when I bought it. Lately my daughter and I find that it doesn't run newer games as well as it did and there is always stuttering and freezes and when I tested I found out that everything is running fine but the graphic card is getting a little old. + I like the RTX effects :) I think that the problem is that I upgraded my monitor to 2K 144Hz and I guess that because of added pixels and effects the ol' pal needs some boost. So I want to upgrade. And specifically I want to upgrade from GeForce GTX 1080 8GB EX OC KFA2 to ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6. I was looking through the forum posts and I found out a bit about this and that, but mainly I found out that everything is REALLY specific... Especially with big and powerful graphic cards. I thought I'll just buy a new power supply but then my daughter said that I'm an idiot and that I shouldn't always rush head on :-| So I guess I'll post my other components here and I'd be interested in what else I have to upgrade so the graphic card will work. I know that power supply will have to get an upgrade at least. What to buy so it isn't insanely expensive, since the graphic card is 1.2k already?

Parts:
Motherboard: AsRock 1151 Z270 Pro4, DDR4
Processor Intel Core i7-7700K BOX processor, Kaby Lake
Graphic card GeForce GTX 1080 8GB EX OC KFA2
RAM: DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws V, black
HD: 3.5" 2TB 7200rpm 64MB SATA3 Toshiba P300
SSD: 525GB SATA3 Crucial MX300, CT525MX300SSD1
DVD-RW: LG GH24NSD1 24xSATA, black
Housing?: ATX midi tower Antec Gamer GX500 with window, blue LED
Power supply: 550W LC-Power LC5550 V2.2 80 Plus Bronze
Water cooling for processor: LC-Power LC-CC-120-LiCo, 120mm

What do I need to change and what do I need to buy to get the graphics rolling? :D

Solution
What about this? Will it work? Looks the same to me, it's Gigabyte and it's 30€ cheaper.
https://www.mimovrste.com/napajalniki/gigabyte-napajalnik-g750h-750w-gold
As far as Gigabyte goes for PSUs......I don't have personal experience with them.
I did a google search and it seems most people say they are OK.
Do a search yourself.
Although I do know that Seasonic is very highly spoken of....pretty much across the board.
....and here's another thing....
If you are going to spend all this money on an RTX 2080 Ti.....that can easily be damaged by a faulty PSU....isn't it worth spending the extra 30 for a Seasonic?

Lutfij

Titan
I would change out the PSU to something made by Seasonic from the Focus range and has 650W of power on it. That processor should be on a 240mm AIO as opposed to a single 120mm radiatored AIO. You could go for a DDR4-3200MHz ram kit but that would be asking too much from your wallet.

You're good!

Reactions: MrWolferino
Dec 5, 2019
I would change out the PSU to something made by Seasonic from the Focus range and has 650W of power on it. That processor should be on a 240mm AIO as opposed to a single 120mm radiatored AIO. You could go for a DDR4-3200MHz ram kit but that would be asking too much from your wallet.

You're good!

What do you mean I'm good? Just buy a power supply of 650+ and it's gonna work allright? :) What's that about the processor? I can upgrade if you think it'd be better, I just don't understand half of what you said... (sorry)

The 7700k is still a fairly competent cpu. You wont see huge gains by upgrading, and the cost to upgrade would be relatively stiff. As you'd need a new mobo along with cpu. And faster ram if you choose the ryzen route.

Grab a good quality 650+ psu and you're good. I like my corsair hxi series. But there are plenty of good ones. As suggested seasonic makes great psu.

Dec 5, 2019
What about your monitor?
  • What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • Your monitor's brand and exact model number will help.
What about your monitor?
  • What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • Your monitor's brand and exact model number will help.
Thanks for the fast reply. It's this monitor:
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-Strix-XG32VQ/

What about this? Will it work? Looks the same to me, it's Gigabyte and it's 30€ cheaper.
https://www.mimovrste.com/napajalniki/gigabyte-napajalnik-g750h-750w-gold
As far as Gigabyte goes for PSUs......I don't have personal experience with them.
I did a google search and it seems most people say they are OK.
Do a search yourself.
Although I do know that Seasonic is very highly spoken of....pretty much across the board.
....and here's another thing....
If you are going to spend all this money on an RTX 2080 Ti.....that can easily be damaged by a faulty PSU....isn't it worth spending the extra 30 for a Seasonic?

Reactions: Phaaze88 and King_V
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks for the fast reply. It's this monitor:
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-Strix-XG32VQ/

Ok, so in this case, what's your goal?

At your given 2560x1440, do you want to:
  • maintain a minimum of 60fps?
  • maintain a minimum of 75fps?
  • Full out trying to keep it at 144fps at max details
What is falling short in your current usage?

Also, re the power supply - I concur wholeheartedly. With high-end equipment, the existing power supply has to go. Check the first link in my signature for recommendations.

The PSU is the lifeblood of your system. A high quality one will last, and help your components live longer as well. A poor quality one can shorten the life of your components with dirty/unstable current, can fail, or can fail and take other components with it.. some are outright fire hazards.

The rest of your system absolutely depends on the PSU.