[SOLVED] Graphic Card upgrade worth it question

Griff1985

Honorable
Mar 16, 2014
Hi there.
Built a computer about 2 years ago. I am not super savvy with technical aspects, just like playing games that aren't on low setting and can physically follow YouTube videos to put together the parts :)

My question is with the below current build, is there value in trying to grab a nvidia 3070 card when they come out and just swapping the graphics card out, or will the rest of the system limit the benefit from that upgrade and would need to do a new build to take advantage of the new graphics card?

Current build:
Intel i-5 8600k
16GB DDR4 3000 memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
TUF Z370 Plus motherboard
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ 80 Plus Gold 750W

Thanks.

Solution
Are you playing above 1440P on the newest games, and/or requiring 144 Hz refresh?

(The 1070Ti is still quite competent at 1080P gameplay, so unless you have aspirations of max quality on recent blockbuster games at 1440P at 100 Hz/144 Hz refresh, I'd not necessarily upgrade unless you are unhappy wtih current framerates..)

The 3070 is rumored to be a tad faster or equal to / than a 2080TI, so, it's certainly going to be a good card, but, depends on the games you play, and at what res/quality/details/refresh rate desired...

logainofhades

Titan
Only thing that might become an issue, with a faster GPU, is if you run across a game that wants more cores/threads, than your CPU can provide. To be fair, you could encounter such issues, with the GPU, that you have now. COD warzone, for instance, is a game that really likes 6c/12t cpu's.

Reactions: tennis2
Are you playing above 1440P on the newest games, and/or requiring 144 Hz refresh?

(The 1070Ti is still quite competent at 1080P gameplay, so unless you have aspirations of max quality on recent blockbuster games at 1440P at 100 Hz/144 Hz refresh, I'd not necessarily upgrade unless you are unhappy wtih current framerates..)

The 3070 is rumored to be a tad faster or equal to / than a 2080TI, so, it's certainly going to be a good card, but, depends on the games you play, and at what res/quality/details/refresh rate desired...

Solution
A 3070 should help you get better frame rates and higher quality settings at 1440p.

There is the potential now (and even more so in the next year or two) that you'd see improvements by upgrading the rest of your system when playing certain games, but your system looks pretty solid and I don't see why you could just buy the RTX 3070 and leave everything else as-is.