[SOLVED] Graphic Card Warranty

Mar 24, 2020
So My GPU just stopped working, and this is the last year to claim the warranty. I have send it to the distributor and they offer me a replacement with refurbished graphic card + $35 or repair it to the factory and wait for 4 months.
I have no experience at all with the warranty, this is my first time. I just feel it's strange that they can cost you money when the product is still under warranty. I personally don't mind paying $35 if it's brand new.
What do you guys think? What should I do?

Solution
What kind of timeline did the distributor offer? And what kind of warranty are the offering on the "refurbished" card?

Warranty timelines vary manufacturer to manufacturer, and region to region.
Typically, you cover one-way shipping if there's a problem (sending it back) - although if it turns out the item doesn't have a problem, you'd need to cover shipping to return it to you.

4 months seems excessive.... but that'll depend on the RMA process in your region.
In some areas of the world, retailers have a relationship with a manufacturer to ship components back, as otherwise, the company does not offer a warranty in the region (unless required to by law).

In North America or EU, you should expect a returned (either repaired or...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What kind of timeline did the distributor offer? And what kind of warranty are the offering on the "refurbished" card?

Warranty timelines vary manufacturer to manufacturer, and region to region.
Typically, you cover one-way shipping if there's a problem (sending it back) - although if it turns out the item doesn't have a problem, you'd need to cover shipping to return it to you.

4 months seems excessive.... but that'll depend on the RMA process in your region.
In some areas of the world, retailers have a relationship with a manufacturer to ship components back, as otherwise, the company does not offer a warranty in the region (unless required to by law).

In North America or EU, you should expect a returned (either repaired or replaced) item comfortably within 30 days - probably more like 14 in most cases.

Outside of those regions, I'm not 100% sure on practices.

Assuming what the distributor has told you is accurate ($35 and shipped to you soon vs 4 months waiting) AND they'll offer you a reasonable warranty on a refurbished card, then I'd just pay the $35 and be done.... assuming you don't want to wait.

Depending on the manufacturer, I've seen various implementations of warranty on a repaired

If they send you a replacement, your warranty on that item will typically be either:
  • equal to buying it new (ie if you bought it from a store and you'd get a 2 year warranty, the 'new' card you were send has a 2 year warranty
  • only for the balance of the time remaining on your original purchase (ie you had a 2 year warranty, you're 1 year in at the time of replacement. You then have 1 year on the new card)
If they repair your card and send it back, it's never going to be as it were new. It'll either be:
  • The balance of your warranty remaining
  • 30/60/90 days, regardless of the balance remaining.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS