[SOLVED] graphic card

vtpatsfan

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
I have a dell xps 8900 pc.I need to upgrade my graphic card to play shadow of tomb raider.My pc has a 460w pcu pci eexpress x 16 card slot i would like to know whats the best card i can use without going nuts on price.The games minimum requirements recomends a 1060 card

Solution
Everything has changed since then. It would be a good idea to start a new thread including your current build specs, budget, country or region where the hardware needs to be purchased and a brief outline of your expectations for the build.
The RX 580 can play SOTR just fine if you are looking to play at 1080p, and the 5500 XT outperforms the RX 580 by about 3% according to reviews, so this card should not only be capable enough for your requirements but it should also work fine with a 460w PSU so long as it has a 6+2 or 8 pin connector.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT 4 GB MECH OC Video Card ($163.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $163.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-22 18:09 EST-0500

If your PSU does not have a 6+2 or 8 pin PCIe auxiliary power connector, then this would be my next choice, assuming it has at least one six pin connector.

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce...&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-TJT2eX.99bPu0mnY0qwqow

And if it does not at least have a six pin connector then a different power supply might be a necessary part of the process. There are some slot powered cards but they are not particularly capable, however it could be an option if necessary.

vtpatsfan

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
The RX 580 can play SOTR just fine if you are looking to play at 1080p, and the 5500 XT outperforms the RX 580 by about 3% according to reviews, so this card should not only be capable enough for your requirements but it should also work fine with a 460w PSU so long as it has a 6+2 or 8 pin connector.

PCPartPicker Part List

If your PSU does not have a 6+2 or 8 pin PCIe auxiliary power connector, then this would be my next choice, assuming it has at least one six pin connector.

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-gtx-1650-super-04g-p4-1357-kr/p/N82E16814487482?Item=N82E16814487482&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LBrYcf/evga-geforce-gtx-1650-super-4-gb-sc-ultra-gaming-video-card-04g-p4-1357-kr&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-TJT2eX.99bPu0mnY0qwqow

And if it does not at least have a six pin connector then a different power supply might be a necessary part of the process. There are some slot powered cards but they are not particularly capable, however it could be an option if necessary.
I am not sure where the power cord is as the only plug I see on my card looks like it connects to a video port.I have a pic of the inside of my pc but I do not know how to paste it to this reply.

Just because your current card doesn't use a 6 or 8 pin auxiliary power connector doesn't necessarily mean your power supply doesn't have one. Although, assuming this is an OEM type power supply since it's a prebuilt, there's a good chance it might not. If you can locate the specifications decal on the side of the power supply and give me the model number we could find out for sure.

As far as posting images, this:

vtpatsfan

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
Just because your current card doesn't use a 6 or 8 pin auxiliary power connector doesn't necessarily mean your power supply doesn't have one. Although, assuming this is an OEM type power supply since it's a prebuilt, there's a good chance it might not. If you can locate the specifications decal on the side of the power supply and give me the model number we could find out for sure.

As far as posting images, this:

model no of( pcu-up/n hk 560-18fp) (dp/n 6qxmo)I hope these are right.

vtpatsfan

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-gtx-1650-super-04g-p4-1357-kr/p/N82E16814487482?Item=N82E16814487482&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LBrYcf/evga-geforce-gtx-1650-super-4-gb-sc-ultra-gaming-video-card-04g-p4-1357-kr&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-TJT2eX.99bPu0mnY0qwqow

will the card you gave me a link to work with my pc providing I have the right pins on my psu?

That PSU seems to be a standard ATX power supply, so it SHOULD be upgradeable if necessary. Probably it is a good idea, however, that unit DOES have two six pin connectors so technically it can support a card that requires one. It does NOT have a 6+2 pin or 8 pin connector, so the 5500 XT or RX 570 are out of the question without changing the power supply.

How much can you actually budget for a graphics card, or potentially, even for a graphics card and power supply if it came to that?

What CPU do you have and how much memory is installed?

vtpatsfan

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
That PSU seems to be a standard ATX power supply, so it SHOULD be upgradeable if necessary. Probably it is a good idea, however, that unit DOES have two six pin connectors so technically it can support a card that requires one. It does NOT have a 6+2 pin or 8 pin connector, so the 5500 XT or RX 570 are out of the question without changing the power supply.

How much can you actually budget for a graphics card, or potentially, even for a graphics card and power supply if it came to that?

What CPU do you have and how much memory is installed?
I am looking to spend up to around $ 300.00 I have a GeForce gt 730 and I have 8gb of memory

vtpatsfan

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
I have a pc I am considering on buying its a dell here are the specs for it do you think this is a good choice for the price.The price they are asking is 849.00 its refurbished pc on ebay. I am trusting your thoughts about it.
Specifications:

• ModelXPS - 8930
    ProcessorIntel Core 9th Generation i7-9700 Processor (8 Core, Up to 4.70Ghz, 12MB Cache, 65W)
    Operating SystemWindows 10 PRO x64
    LCD PanelNone
    Hard Drives1TB 3.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)+256GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
    Memory16GB (2X8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 UDIMM Non-ECC
    Four DDR4 DIMM sockets - Supports up to 64GB 2666MHz DDR4
    Video CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
    CD-ROM/DVD-ROMTray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
    Wi-Fi CardDell Wireless Card (802.11ac + Bluetooth, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1)
    ConnectivityIntegrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet Network Card
    AudioMaxxx Audio
    BluetoothYes
    KeyboardUS English Qwerty Dell KB212-B QuietKey USB Black Keyboard
    PortsFRONT:
    One RJ45 port
    Six USB 2.0 ports
    Three USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports
    One USB 3.1 Gen 2 port
    One USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port
    One audio input/microphone port
    One optical S/PDIF port
    One coaxial S/PDIF port
    One front L/R surround line-out port
    One side L/R surround port
    One rear L/R surround port
    One center/subwoofer LFE surround port
    One line-in port

BACK:
    Three USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports
    One USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port
    One audio output/headphone port (supports 2 channel audio)
    One audio input/microphone port
    DimensionsHeight 389 mm (15.32 in) - Width 180 mm (7.09 in) Depth-356 mm (14.02 in) - Weight (maximum)10 kg (22 lbs)
    ColorGlossy Black
    Ac adapter125V Power Cord
    Warranty1 Year Hardware Service with In-Home/Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis which expires in JANUARY, 2021.
    After the purchase, I will provide you with a link to Dell's online form along with the necessary info to transfer the warranty to your name.
    ConditionThis computer is classified as Dell Manufacturer Refurbished. These systems were returned by original owner during the 30 day return period when Dell sold as new. All units completely inspected, retested, and repackaged by Dell.
    Most units will be like new or almost new, some units might have a very slight cosmetic blemishes, like small scratches or other very slight cosmetic defects.
    All systems come with the same Dell warranty as brand new computers do.

Sorry, I totally missed that part. My bad.

Do you NEED for it to be a prebuilt, or are you able to assemble a system yourself?

The price is actually not that bad considering the hardware, but it's used, it probably doesn't have a great warranty and the warranty it does have, if any, might be hard to enforce depending on who the seller is. I don't trust buying hardware from Ebay unless it is being sold there by one of the known retailers or the manufacturer, to be honest. It's like a crapshoot when you buy any hardware from Ebay. You might get lucky, you might get screwed.

If it shows up, powers on and lasts a week, then dies, you're probably on your own.

Notice the notation about being ABLE to transfer the original warranty into your name? Yeah, that's never going to happen through Dell. Only purchases from Dell or one of their AUTHORIZED retailers will have warranties that are actually honored by Dell. I'd avoid that and look elsewhere.

It's very likely you could build your own system, even partially using some of the hardware you have currently, for less than that and end up with much better hardware. But if you are not able to do the assembly then of course that rules out that.

So, what ARE your CURRENT hardware specifications, because maybe you don't really NEED to upgrade the whole system or can maybe just do a partial upgrade instead.

vtpatsfan

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
Sorry, I totally missed that part. My bad.

Do you NEED for it to be a prebuilt, or are you able to assemble a system yourself?

The price is actually not that bad considering the hardware, but it's used, it probably doesn't have a great warranty and the warranty it does have, if any, might be hard to enforce depending on who the seller is. I don't trust buying hardware from Ebay unless it is being sold there by one of the known retailers or the manufacturer, to be honest. It's like a crapshoot when you buy any hardware from Ebay. You might get lucky, you might get screwed.

If it shows up, powers on and lasts a week, then dies, you're probably on your own.

Notice the notation about being ABLE to transfer the original warranty into your name? Yeah, that's never going to happen through Dell. Only purchases from Dell or one of their AUTHORIZED retailers will have warranties that are actually honored by Dell. I'd avoid that and look elsewhere.

It's very likely you could build your own system, even partially using some of the hardware you have currently, for less than that and end up with much better hardware. But if you are not able to do the assembly then of course that rules out that.

So, what ARE your CURRENT hardware specifications, because maybe you don't really NEED to upgrade the whole system or can maybe just do a partial upgrade instead.
( heres my system information for my computer I hope this helps.)
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-DF7L10P
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model XPS 8900
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 06B8
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 2.6.1, 5/23/2019
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Product 0XJ8C4
BaseBoard Version A00
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.628"
User Name DESKTOP-DF7L10P\venli
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.88 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.24 GB
Total Virtual Memory 9.13 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.28 GB
Page File Space 1.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

vtpatsfan

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
I am not real tech savvy when it comes to figuring out what things will work in my pc but I do know how to replace parts.So with that said here is what I would like to do,i know I need to upgrade my graphic card I have a couple in m9ind I just do not know what one will work in my pc.So the first card I am considering is a gtx 1060 card,the second card is a 1660 card.My graphic card in my pc does not meet the mininmum requirements of shadow of the tomb raider and other newer games coming out so I want to upgrade to meet the needs of some of these new games with paying a fortune to do it.I am willing to pay up to lets say arpound $500.00 if you are willing to help me on buying the right parts for this pc i am willing to upgrade rather than buying a prebuilt pc.

You don't need a whole new system. You can, obviously, get one if you want, but it's definitely not a necessity to do what you want to do. Here is my advice.

Add 8GB of memory and get a decent graphics card along with a decent power supply.

In order to make a recommendation on what memory to add we would need to know what memory, specifically, is currently installed.

In order to know THAT, you can download CPU-Z, install it, run it, click on the SPD tab, then select a DIMM slot from the drop down menu directly beneath where it says "Memory slot selection".

At that point it should populate all the fields below and to the right with information. Look at the field next to where it says "Part number". That is the model or part number of the memory. Post that information here.

Knowing how MANY memory modules would be helpful too so check to see how many of the DIMM slots from the Memory slot selection drop down brings up information OR remove the side panel on your case and visually identify whether there are one or two memory modules currently installed.

Your i7-6700 is more than adequate enough for a 1080p 60fps graphics card.

vtpatsfan

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
heres the in fo for the memory.
072 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 4096 MB (serial number 71A5D882)
Slot 'DIMM2' has 4096 MB (serial number 71A5D8F2)
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM4' is Empty

Ok, so I'd forget about trying to ADD memory, and just replace that memory instead. Adding memory is problematic because whatever you add is going to increase the DIMM count to four DIMMs, which will increase stress on the memory controller but more importantly is potentially a risk for not playing nice with the memory that's already there.

You may be able to sell yours to help recoup some of the costs. I'd recommend you do something similar to this.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Crucial 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($63.35 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $287.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-27 13:46 EST-0500